Chapter Twenty Three

Alpha Reaper's Point Of View

Fuck. This wasn't supposed to happen. I could feel my wolf howling at the state of my mate, the crimson blood running across the floor. The puddle surrounded him. My face blanched at the sight of my mate on the en-suite floor was too much to bare. I closed my eyes taking a deep breath, listening deeply to the sounds around me. 

I could hear a faint heartbeat. It was weak but it lingered in my year. It was the noise that I desperately wanted to hear. Part of me hated him, but there was part of me that couldn't let him go. That was the problem with being a wolf, you couldn't choose or change who your soulmate was. 

"Get the doctor quickly!" I shouted at Reed who was standing still watching the scene in front of him unfold. 

I knew Reed didn't particularly care for the King, I knew he had questions for why I was reacting this way. For Reed, the King was just a pawn in my game to ensuring The Order was taken down. He didn't know that he was my true mate. All he knew was the King was the one who ordered my execution. I could see his hesitation as the tears rolled down my face. 

"DO IT NOW FOR GODDESS SAKE REED. I'M LOSING HIM." I exclaimed as I ripped my shirt pressing it into the freshly cut wound on his wrist. 

I could feel my soul tearing, my wolf was anxious and withering in pain at the sight in front of her. I could feel her regret at the pain we had caused him. She wanted him in pain but she didn't want him to die. The future that she imagined with her mate was flashing through her mind, it was like she was grasping onto what life could have been. I could feel her paws claw through the remnants of the bond. She was determined not to lose a piece of her soul that was was held by her mate. 

I don't know much time passed but there was a bang as the door flung open. Our pack doctor rushed in, his face red, his breath laboured as he glanced around the room. I was hunched over my mate holding his wrist trying to reduce the bleeding. The doctor quickly shoved a quiet Reed out the way. He bent over and placed his fingers on Alexander's neck as he chucked open his bag. 

"His pulse is still there, he's alive." The doctor had responded. He glanced at my hand which was pressed on the open wound. "Good, your applying pressure to the wound." He removed his hand and flung open his black bag searching for what he needed. He pulled out the needle and some thread and looked at me. "I need to close the wound quickly. I need you to remove your hand so I can assess and treat him as soon as possible."

I growled, I could feel my eyes darken. My wolf was clawing her way to the surface, she refused to let go. She wasn't ready to let him leave her, she wanted him to beg for mercy, to beg for forgiveness, she wanted him to make things right. He couldn't do that if he was dead. 

"Alpha." The doctor looked at me, his eyes were wide. I could smell his fear at upsetting his Alpha linger through the air. "If I'm to save your mate, you need to let him go. I need my nurse as well if there is a chance of him surviving." He whispered as he bowed his head. 

When the doctor mentioned that Alexander was mate. I heard Reed gasp and it was quickly replaced with the loudest growl. It was then that my tear stricken face turned up to my brother who was looking at me in pain and then looking at Alexander in contempt. I could see the pain etched onto his face. I didn't know what to say as sobs escaped my mouth. 

Part of me was desperate for my brother to swoop me in his arms and comfort me, protect me from the one man that had caused me pain. The other part of me knew that I didn't deserve it because my biggest secret was revealed. I knew my brother wouldn't look at me the same, he would be disappointed. Disappointed and heartbroken that I didn't trust him.