Chapter Forty Six

King Alexander's Point Of View

Reed was highly stressed and concerned by the breach at the perimeter of the pack; myself, Lily and Leyla all pounced to the the direction of the intruder. The three of us moved together as one, all of us keeping the same pace and formation. I could sense Lily was stressed, from what she had told me the recent breach of Drew was something she never expected. Her pack had remained hidden for many years, they were known throughout the Kingdom for staying in the shadows. 

The Mallaper's were notorious, even if no one had seen them, the way they were spoken about were like they were child snatchers operating in the night. They were used as folk lore amongst the Kingdom, they were portrayed as enemies to the peace that settled amongst my people. However, the more time I spend with the pack, the more I understand that the rumours that lingered were nothing but lies. They were peaceful people, who lived happily in the shadows. The warriors worked hard against a force that my mate had been solely tightly for the last twenty years. 

Our footsteps pounded as we treaded across the forest floor. The leafs that were starting to fall crunched beneath our feet. Our strides were strong, our front was united. I could feel our bond getting deeper by the minute. My mind would wonder and my thoughts would linger on how we should have been like this since the start. Even if I was manipulated, I should have known better. I shouldn't have been so naive. 

My mind would linger to that moment where I sat on the beach with my parents. It was the place of in between. My parents were good people, they were knowledgable. If I didn't let my pride and ego get in the way, I could have told them I made a mistake, I could have expressed that I had my concerns that Lamia wasn't my mate. However, like a poison she spread and integrated herself into my life. She was responsible for many wrong doings. I had attempted to kill my own mate, whether it was by my hand or by someone else's. I was the executioner. If I had made one choice differently, would any of this be happening?

We don't have time for what if's. There is a bigger evil out there. If it wasn't us who would have been a victim someone else might have. We have been given a second chance. With our mate and with our pup. Not many people get that chance. My wolf advised.  

I knew my wolf was right, there was nothing wrong about the words of wisdom he offered. I couldn't linger on the past anymore, I had to focus on the present while hoping for a better future. I followed behind my girls as we reached the towering fir tree's, the branches gently brushed against their arms. As I watched them in front of me, I could see the similarities in their behaviour. 

Both of my girls held an air of elegance about them, their confidence was unwavering. They were hypersensitive to each other's movements without even realising it. Every time I looked them a small smile lingered on my mouth. I was truly blessed by the Goddess, she had given me everything I ever wanted in a mate and a child, even if I did not deserve it. I was caught up in my thoughts when one of the branches that Leyla had pulled back flung into my face. I shook my head, bushing of the spruces that had fallen on my face. 

It wasn't long until we were all stood in a line at the barrier, where a lone figure like Drew's stood scouring the area. Leyla's feet came to an abrupt stop. Her mouth hanging open as she looked at the male in front of us. I could hear her heart thumping hard against her chest, whoever was in front of us, unsettled her. The night had fallen and all that could be seen was this darkened silhouette. 

Lily looked at me with a furrow brow, I could see her questioning gaze as she looked at Leyla. She too could hear our daughter's reaction to the man behind the barrier. Leyla was reacting, but she silent. From what her mother said, when she saw Drew, she was happy and elated by his presence whereas this time she was perplexed and unsure on how to react. I could see the uncertainty that lingered on her face in the darkness of the night.