Chapter Thirty Nine

Alpha Reaper's Point Of View

As Leyla leaves my office with Drew. I send a quick mind-link to my brother and mate, Alexander telling them to stay where they are. Both are giving me a quizical look as if they are confused by my actions. I wait patiently as Leyla closes the door. I listen carefully to her footsteps as they quieten down as she moves further away from my office. 

"We need to talk." I firmly state to both men in my office. 

"What's up sis?" Reed says as he gets up and occupies the sofa that Leyla and Drew were in. He flings himself back and puts his legs up getting comfy. 

"Did you both enjoy your little tumble earlier?" I growl out. "Alexander looks like he's been beaten to a pulp Reed."

"Don't worry sis. He knows he deserved it. If you weren't going to punch him, I certainly was." Reed says as he glares at Alexander across the room. 

Alexander sits back in his chair, I can see him flinch in pain every so often. The pain he feels tumbles through our bond. I can feel everything strengthen day by day, the emotions he feels become stronger, swallowing me further as each minute passes. I can feel him become my strength but equally my weakness. I never experienced this before and all I can do is feel myself become more protective over the mate that I didn't want anymore. 

"Well now that you've done it once, you don't need to do it again. Understand?" I say with a clipped tone. Reed groans in disappointment but nods his head in response. "Good, now I think we have a bigger problem to deal with." I sigh as I push myself back in my desk chair, I start massaging my temples and I can feel the guilt in me bubble for what I want to say. 

"What is that?" Reed asks in a serious tone. 

"Alexander made a point earlier that I don't think we can deny anymore." I sigh pressing my fingers harder into my temples. "I think we have a traitor amoungst us."

"What?!" Reed exclaims. I can see that Alexander has a slight smirk on his face knowing that he was right with what he said. 

"You heard me. When we and Leyla were speaking earlier about The Order before we were interrupted, we discussed there being a traitor amoungst us. It makes sense because every time we attack the order they always seem one step ahead of us. They have been escaping us for years now and we aren't any closer to unmasking them." I explain. 

"Who do you think the traitor is? Because I know you won't voice it unless you have a good reason." Reed grumbles out. There's a silence and I can feel the name get stuck in my throat. I know Reed won't like it and he won't want to admit it. 

"Carson." Alexander bluntly states. I give him a look of disbelief wishing he had eased him into it. However as Reed looks at him, he lets out a bellowed laugh. Both me and Alexander have solemn looks on our face hoping that he understands the severity of the situation. It takes Reed a moment to read the language of the room. 

"Your not joking?" Reed questions. 

"No I'm not. As much as I want to deny it, I can't anymore." I sigh. 

"How can you say that about our friend?! He's been with us through thick and thin! He wouldn't betray us like this!" He shouts. 

"Reed, we can't ignore what is in front of our eyes, I don't think he can help himself." I whisper. 

"But he found Drew! He brought him here to help us? How can you speak that way about family?!" Reed exclaimed. 

"Carson never found Drew, if he did why isn't he with him? Where is he Reed?" I argue back as I pinch the bridge of my nose. Reed's silence fills the room, there is an uncomfortable truth about my words that he can't ignore. 

"Then how did Drew find this place? Shouldn't we be more weary of someone we know nothing about?" Reed retorts. I see Alexander is silent, he knows that this isn't his argument. He knows that there's nothing he could say that would convince Reed that Carson was potentially a traitor. 

"Drew found us because of Nona. Nona had sent Drew a letter with our co-ordinates with instructions to seek out Leyla and help us." I replied. 

"What the fuck? How did she know where we were? More importantly how did she know that Leyla would be here? Did she know she was your daughter and hid her from you and Alexander all this time?" Reed frustratingly vents. 

I let his questions fill my ears and his questions about whether Nona knew Leyla's true parentage is unknown to me. I don't think she knew the truth about me but I suspected she knew about Alexander being her father. I knew that Nona would know that if Lamia came to know about her she would have found a way to get rid of her. From what Leyla had told me about the Royal Pack and what I observed I sense that Lamia was segregating her son and the higher officials of the pack. 

"Nona was like me Reed. She held a special wolf. Nona was special and had abilities that were beyond mine but equally she was restricted. She held the ability to sense things. I believe her wolf knew that Leyla was at risk and she was willing to protect her. She knew the consequences and she had made arrangements with Drew to ensure her safety." I explained. 

"Nona was smart. She made good relationships and connections with people who would not bow down to hierarchy or power. Her relationships were meaningful with people who followed the old ways of wolfs. Drew was one of the children at the pack house who she had developed a connection with. I can always see from Drew's interactions that he truly cares for Leyla." Alexander interjects. 

"My wolf connected with his and sensed no danger from Drew. You know my wolf's abilities and talents Reed. I wouldn't risk my daughter after finding out she is alive all these years." I exclaim. 

"Your daughter?" Reed says with disbelief as he throws his forearm over his eyes. "I can't believe you have a daughter with this idiot. I have a niece!" 

I shake my head in irritation at his words. "Carson had already tried to attack Leyla. I don't think he has control over his wolf. I don't think he can help it. It goes against our innate abilities to harm our mates. I think his wolf is protecting his mate and it is something that none of us can stop." I exhale out. "My wolf agrees with our deduction and the fact he isn't here with his family and has shut out his link to us is only adding to my concerns."

Reed looks at me in disbelief and horror, like he can't believe the words that I am saying. Reed knew that Carson was the mate of Lamia, he just had no idea that the child she carried was his. That Prince Ryan was Carson's son. He believed that Leyla was the one who would bring harm to his mate and no matter how much she had harmed him and discarded their bond his wolf would protect her. That is why he started a fight. 

The only question I had in my mind was how long had he been betraying us? My wolf would grow at her incompetence, she didn't need anymore convincing. She sensed his stray from our plans but she didn't believe that he would do something like this. I could feel her fear rumble through our relationship. Carson held secrets of my pack, he knew things that I hadn't even shared with my brother. 

Terror vibrated through my bones at the secrets he knew, he could be the downfall to my pack, my family. If he revealed those secrets to the wrong people, the werewolf race would all be doomed.