Chapter Forty Nine

King Alexander's Point Of View

My head hurts at what Ryan has shared with us. There is a part of me that is struggling with my feelings about Ryan. Even though he isn't my son by blood, there is a bond between us from the years of when I raised him. I couldn't blame him, he was innocent in this equation. He was only a pup when Lamia's plans were in effect. The child that my wolf recognised was the one that Lily was carrying, not the one that Lamia birthed. 

Ryan wasn't even born when I made my decision, how could I blame him for taking away Leyla's childhood and Lily's opportunity for motherhood. I was too blame as much as Lamia. I couldn't help but feel guilty when I looked at Lily. Her face held nothing but contempt for Ryan. For there was nothing that I could do to protect him. Lily viewed him as the child of her enemy. Where I saw him as the child I had raised and bonded with. I could also see the conflicting emotion in Leyla's gaze, whenever she looked at him, she saw her mate but she also saw the person who betrayed her. 

Again, guilt gnawed at my insides. If I had more of an input in his upbringing as he got older would things have been different? A flash memory of Lamia killing Nona ran through my mind. I was King and still couldn't stop her from murdering an innocent wolf. My heart was in turmoil at my decisions, which has led to us all being in danger. 

My decision to publicly crown Lamia gave her the power to manipulate large crowds of my Kingdom. No one would dare question her orders, especially when the King was missing. If I had been stronger, if I had asked questions or sort advice from my parents maybe everything would be different. I may not have instigated the turmoil we were going through, but my decisions contributed to the trials and tribulations that we were facing. 

My daughter and mate were in danger. There was nothing I could do to change that at this point. Lily was adamant that she and Leyla would stay behind and fight, she was unwilling to allow me and Ryan to stay behind. I couldn't understand why. I knew our daughter had powers but I knew that Lamia had built an army, one that was filled with skill. They were cut throat and I was truly terrified at what harm they could cause my family. 

Lily had ordered to the pack to evacuate, she had escape tunnels implemented. She had ordered Reed to lead this and us to follow his command. I could sense Ryan was unwilling to leave his mate, just as I was unwilling to leave Lily. Ryan was angry, he didn't see what Leyla was capable of so he believed that she would be killed or worst. 

As the pack began to gather, Drew had also collected his experiment and evidence of what he had gathered. When Drew's eyes caught Ryan, I could see his eyes darken. Drew was very protective of Leyla for even though they weren't blood related, they shared a bond. I could tell by his hateful gaze that Leyla had told him everything that had transpired between the two of them. There was a sense of blame that he placed on Ryan for the death of Nona. As much as Drew wanted to argue and beat Ryan to a pulp he held back, knowing that there was a greater evil at play. I sensed that even though he wasn't acting out, he was holding back and biting his tongue until we were where we needed to be. 

Again my relationship with Ryan caused me pain and confusion. He was my son by bond, but my son-in-law by mating. I was in a constant battle with myself wanting to harm him for rejecting my daughter by blood but blaming myself for his decisions. The guilt in me couldn't just blame Lamia, for I had a responsibility in raising him. How could I lecture a boy I raised as my son on something that I wasn't able to do myself. For we were both cut from the same cloth, both of us denying the bond we shared with our mate. 

My thoughts were interrupted by Leyla and Lily who were stood side by side. Reed joined the congregation while Ryan stood behind me. I could feel him wanting to join in but his guilt and shame held him back.