Chapter Forty

Prince Ryan's Point Of View

Days have now passed into weeks since I laid eyes on my mate, Leyla. My heart hearts whenever I think about her. I think about the pain she must of felt when I refused to admit that she was my mate. I don't know who or what has caused the fracture in my bond but when I do find them, they will feel my wrath. I don't even care if they are my blood or not. 

As my days pass in the Royal Pack, I have realised that I truly don't know who my mother really is. When my father was still in the pack I truly thought my mother was a kind hearted woman who cared about the pack members no matter what their station was. I always thought she run a tight ship but as more time passes I feel like she is more a dictator than a leader. 

The once innocent woman that I thought my mother was, is now someone who is cold, calculating and manipulative. When my father was ruling the pack, never once did he cause physical harm to an Omega, however since he has disappeared I have seen her raise her hand too numerous pack members. She has degraded and insulted them. The once soft mother that I thought I had is nothing but an abusive bitch. 

My wolf has been nothing but in agreement and for the first time we have been working together, secretly tending to Omegas my mother has harmed. All I can do is channel my thoughts and think about what Leyla would have done. My wolf feels the need to challenge my mother for he senses there is something different about her. She once held this powerful aura that rivalled my father's position but now her aura is weak and feeble. I feel like she is clutching straws. 

I have to stop my wolf from overpowering her because we need to remain hidden in the shadows, we need to uncover what the truth is. That includes keeping up the farce with Elisha. The more time I spend with her, the more I spend running away from her, the more I want to throttle her. How did I find her scent alluring? How did I find her voice enchanting? Her body is something that I see all men look at in lust and I used to love it; for men wanted what was mine. Now I shiver and look at her in disgust as she sashays through the pack grounds. 

There is nothing attractive about her on the inside, she has stood by and watched my mother beat and batter an omega who did not prepare her breakfast properly. Rather than defend or protect the omega like a true Luna would, she sat by and sniggered and encouraged my mother's behaviour, telling her that 'she was teaching them respect'. I couldn't look her in the eye without wanting to throttle her. 

There was this part of me that wanted to go out and seek my mate, ignore my responsibilities, but my wolf was adamant on staying put. He was determined to find evidence against my mother and finding out the secrets that she held. There was something sinister that was lingering across the pack and as more time went by without my father being present, the quicker things were falling apart. 

My mother refused to let me get involved with the pack, she took control and grasped onto it tightly. Her clutch was tightly woven into the power she was given by my father and although I was next in line for the throne, she refused to let go. She would be holed up in the meeting rooms with soldiers and my uncle. She never let me enter those meetings, she said my focus should be on my mate Elisha and making things right. However, I have been avoiding her as it gets closer to the full moon as the Kingdom expects me to mate with Elisha. I've managed to convince Elisha to spend less time together so that it builds the anticipation up. She swooned and told me that I was being romantic. My wolf was laughing at how gullible she was. 

I have managed to spend time exploring the underground tunnels that my wolf had discovered and realised it's like a maze trying to navigate them. They go everywhere from the dining hall to the dungeons. It's there that I worked out that's how Leyla escaped. It was there that her scent lingered in the alleyways, it was faint and barely there but it was the first time that I had smelt her in weeks. My wolf went crazy, I could feel him take over my body. It was there that we followed the end of the alleyway and found the iron gate which was hidden behind green leafs, that led to the outskirts of the pack grounds. A part of me wanted to exit the grounds but my wolf stopped me telling me it wasn't time to find her yet. He was adamant that we had things to do here.