Chapter Thirty

Leyla's Point Of View

The more I stared at the female in front of me, the more her features reflected my own. Her face was similar to shape and size, her lips held the same curve as mine. Her nose was slightly longer, but the shape was a carbon copy of mine. Finally her hair, it was the same raven haired colour and texture. Everything about this woman screamed at me mother, but why did I feel no connection. Why did Amira not recognise her as the woman who had carried and birthed me?

Her memories with Selene didn't make sense, I couldn't tell if it was my imagination or reality. It felt too surreal. Since discovering Ryan was my mate, I had been dearth nothing but a shitty hand of cards. Nothing seemed to get better, as I laid in the familiar bed of my room. MY mother's eyes would not leave my face. It was like I was some alien to her, like she couldn't believe or gasp that I was in front of her. 

Amira was awfully silent as well, all I could do was feel her disappointment through the bond. I could tell she was annoyed that I didn't listen to her that I allowed Hera to speak her words. I can't help but feel thankful to Hera because she had revealed secrets that were being hidden from me. She was the only one to tell me my true heritage. To inform me of my true birth right. 

As I looked at my mother, so many questions ran through my mind. This woman who offered me refuge and protection was riddled with secrets. Secrets that I just wanted to unwrap and decipher. The woman who was recognised by the kingdom as a traitor and murder was my biological mother, so what did that make me? Would I too become heartless as my mother did when she murdered Alexander's mother. 

The thought sent shivers down my spine. Could I really blame Alexander for mating another woman when his own mate had killed his mother. There was a flicker of sympathy for the man but equally there was a level of irritation that he neglected his duties to the child who was right in front of him. I closed my eyes a small tear escaped as these thoughts and scenarios of what should have been rolled through my mind. 

"Why didn't you tell me you were my mother?" I breathed out. The words wanted to lodge in my throat and my nerves were heightened. I was dreading her rejection. 

"Would you believe me if I told you I didn't know you weren't my child? Would you believe me if I told you that I thought you were dead all these years and if I had the slightest idea you were alive that I wouldn't come for you?" She replied firmly. I looked into her eyes and saw no hesitation, no doubt resided there. 

"What happened when I passed out? It was weird it was like I was watching your life pass through my mind? I dreamed of you meeting the Moon Goddess. I swear I am going crazy, I replied as I twisted the amulet that laid on my chest. 

"I am a unique wolf. I know Nona was gifted as well." She curtly explained. "Did you know much about Nona's wolf?" Rita asked.

I nodded my head. "I always knew Nona had a gift for sensing danger, she would almost become hypersensitive to new threats. I called it Nona's third eye." I replied with a soft smiling while remembering the good memories I had with the woman who had raised me. 

"Nona's wolf, well she could predict and sense the future. She was a very special woman with a very unique gift. I believe that is why she mated to one of the Royal wolves." She nodded her head. 

"If Nona could tell the future, how comes she was not able to warn me what went on with my mate, that I was going to be killed?!" I exclaimed.

Rita sighed. "What do we know of the future Leyla? The future is ever changing, humans and wolfs are unpredictable. The future will forever change, nothing is indefinite. Equally, Nona would not have been able to determine when that predictive event would happen. Furthermore, if Nona told people of what she saw, what impact would that have on their lives? Would they accept the editable? Will they try and change the outcome? What impact would that have on their day to day lives? Would they be paranoid? Would they isolate themselves for fear of being hurt?"