Chapter Three

Leyla's Point Of View

I continue to sink into the cool water, everything seems surreal and unearthly. I feel my bones get heavy as the water wraps it round my body. It feels soothing and I can feel my body vibrate as I swish the water with my fingers. This whole feeling is something that I could never imagine. It was like the opposite of the mate bond.

The pain and sparks that were setting my skin on fire were now caressed and lulled me into relaxation. Everything felt better in the water. I couldn't understand why my body was reacting this way. I pried my eyes open in the water, I was expecting the water to sting my eyes and affect my sight but if anything, everything became clearer. My vision was sharp and I was alert to my surroundings. 

The pain I was feeling was now transforming, the grief that I was experiencing was being numbed. I could feel everything that once hurt turn to strength that I couldn't even imagine. The power was omitting in my bones, I felt stronger, I felt the hum of nerves light up like fireworks. The sensation was overwhelming. I wanted to get lost in this feeling. 

My thoughts drifted to the bond that I shared with Nona, the pain was overwhelming the sensations I was feeling. I didn't want to forget the pain, call me a sadist but it was the only thing that connected me to Nona. I didn't want to let go. 

Leyla you need to trust me, the pain is something you need to let go of, Nona wouldn't want you to hold onto that. She wants you to remember the love. Amira whispered. 

Love. What did love get me Amira. All I am is broken by those who have left me, those who have rejected me. What has love done for me? I explained. 

Love gave you the family. Love gave you Nona. Love gave you me. You are stronger than you think you are. Push through the pain, accept Nona's sacrifice. Accept the power you were meant to hold Leyla. Nona would want you to take your place. Trust me Leyla. Amira comforted me. 

I took and deep breath and I expected the water to encase my lungs, but it didn't. I closed my eyes and I let the pain of Nona's death go, I let Amira guide me, for she was all I had left. I pushed the pain as far as I could and I peeled my eyes back open. It was then that I saw the Amulet that the Goddess gift me hover in the water. It omitted a soft glow, the light would have been blinding to the naked eye but in the water it created a ethereal glow. 

It was then that I left this surge inside me, the strength and power finally settled within bones, it lingered under my skin. I remembered the times good times with Nona. I thought of the times I laughed with her, I remembered learning from her, I remembered  all the good times. I thought of the Royal pack and remembered the times I laughed with the doctors or even played with the King. I thought of the times when the King trained me in combat and cheered me on. I could only feel the positive memories. 

I heard a whisper through the water, I couldn't hear anything but what Amira explained as the ancient language of the wolves. 

What's going on Amira? I asked. 

The Goddess is gifting you with powers, she is transferring them through the amulet. She is giving you what is rightfully yours. She is helping you, preparing you for the fight ahead. Listen carefully to what she says, Listen to her words, find the meaning in them. Amira whispers. 

I didn't know what she meant when the words sung to my ear like a song. It was soft and sweet, it was the voice that spoke to me in my dreams. Am I dreaming now?

"Leyla my trusted warrior, you are my chosen Queen. You have been deemed worthy by the God's and Goddess' above for the gifts that I bestow upon you know. Take the gifts and use them wisely. Embrace your destiny." Selene speaks. 

It's then that I feel my whole body light up. I look at my hands and see the soft glow that is surrounded my skin. The same glow that is coming from the amulet. 

"Child, bestow my warning. Be careful with your gifts do not use them unless necessary. She must resist the temptation to use them for selfish reasons. Do not succumb to the evil that will linger in the shadows. Amira, I need you to guide Leyla for you are my greatest creation." Selene speaks, her voice was sweet and soft. It was like a lullaby. 

I feel her presence start to fade, the glow from my amulet begins to fade. However, the power continues to fill my body, everything feels unreal. I have never felt as strong as I do now. The water is still wrapped around my body and rather than fear, I feel comfort. It's like a warm blanket wrapping me in a cocoon. 

It's time, rise from the water Leyla. Amira speaks with confidence. I can hear the power radiating from her voice. 

Let us rise from the ashes of those who have burned us. I reply. 

I push forward and break the barrier of the water. I push my arms through the water and my head rises to the surface. I open my eyes and I look around me. I look into the reflection of the water and see that my eyes have changed colour. They are now golden with specs of amber. 

It's then that I hear the snapping of a twig and look up. I can feel my senses are enhanced and everything is clearer. It's then when I look around I see wolves have surrounded me and left me no room to escape. I smirk slightly knowing that they do not realise what they are up against. 

There stood in the wildflowers a woman with black hair, dressed in black leather pants and matching boots. A black t-shirt hangs on her body. Her hair slicked back into a ponytail. I can sense the power she is trying to omit. 

She looks around at the wolves who have surrounded me and there heads are all lowered in my direction. She is only one who is standing tall, looking at me directly in the eye. She is powerful enough that she does not need to submit. Her gaze observes the scene around us and her eyebrows quirk at the behaviour of the people I sense follow her. 

She smirks and looks at me. "Our saviour has been born."