Chapter Twenty Nine

Leyla's Point Of View

Why didn't you listen Leyla? Why did you let her meaningless words get to you? Leyla you are stronger than this, I need you to fight. Soft words fluttered through my eyes, the voice was mesmerising, enchanting. A part of me wanted to follow the sound of the voice but another part of me feared where it led me. 

The darkness surrounded me like a mist, slowly creeping, caressing my body. The mist began to thicken and was replaced with a black fog that clung to my skin. It was suffocating but I didn't want to breath. What was the point in living? My whole life I had followed the old teachings of the wolf, I listened and worked with Amira and where did it get me? Rejected and Alone. 

Is this what my destiny held? Just because I had the physical strength doesn't mean that it can match the emotional resilience that I needed to survive. Just because I hadn't been beaten black and blue didn't mean that the emotional scars weren't there. Memories flashed past, moments where teenagers at my school laughed and isolated me, moments where teachers looked down at my efforts, days spent alone in the forest without a single friend, Nona pushing me away from my home only for her to die. 

Was I destined to be alone? I was called a warrior or a saviour. It was fate that I was meant to be Queen, only to be judged unworthy by my mate and the Royal Family. I remember being no older than ten years of age when I strolled up to the pack house, hoping to see Ryan who was my best friend. Only for the Queen to sneer at me that he needed better company, company that was from nobility. My whole life I had faced rejection, but because I had Nona I didn't mind. 

I always knew Nona wasn't my mother, she never hid the fact that she took responsibility to me. My wolf and I felt a strong bond to her. She cared for me with love and offered me a family that didn't exist. But that was a lie, my family did exist. I had a mother who was known as a murderer, a father who already had a family and mate. There was simply no place for me in this world. My mother didn't even take me with her when she disappeared. My mother Rita or Lily. I have no idea what to call her. She spent years loving and caring for a pack, offering them safety and shelter. Yet there was no place in her heart for her daughter. 

Did Nona know who my true parents were? Did she hide this from me? I prayed to the Goddess that she was ignorant, I couldn't cope with the fact that she may had lied and hidden the truth from me. Did Amira know of our parentage? Is that one of the many secrets she was keeping. The wedge between us was becoming bigger and more apparent. I couldn't stop it. I didn't want to stop it. What good did listening to my wolf get me? I was happy in the darkness, nothing was hurting me here. 

It was like I was being snuggled tightly away never to found. A part of me was welcoming this, I didn't want to act strong anymore, I didn't want anything. All I wanted was to be alone. Being alone is easier than getting your heart broken. 

Snap out of it Leyla! I heard in the back of my mind.

I could feel the aura omit from my body, warning whoever it was to stay away. I didn't want them close by. I didn't want them near me. Alone was better, alone was safer. No one could hurt me if I was alone. The fog was taking over and soon there was no glimmer of light, no glitter of hope. I knew no one would break through my barriers, my walls for I was buried away. I knew no one would look for me. How could you miss what you don't know?

Nona was dead, she was never coming back, she would never lighten my day, never give me words of encouragement again. My real mother was happy playing Alpha, leading a group to safety. My mate would never want me or need me, he has his chosen.  A sinister chuckle left my laughs, how sick and twisted must the Moon Goddess be for pairing me with my brother. My face blanched at this thought, I kissed my brother. I wanted to mate with my brother.