Chapter Forty Seven

Leyla's Point Of View

Amira was growling the back on my mind as the smell of pine and strawberries flew through the air. The gently breeze carried the alluring scent that I almost thought the figure in front of me was a mirage. My eyes kept shifting as I felt Amira's need to push through to the front of my mind, her desperation and need to be close to her mate overwhelmed me. 

However, I was hesitant. Despite my longing to be reunited with my mate, to offer my wolf the one thing she craved and desired. This was a man who had denied the mate bond, he was willing to allow me to be killed, he was willing to betray me for his fake mate. The innate part of my wolf wanted to embrace him but I was untrusting. Since I had left the Royal Pack, I found a home with my mother and I would not be naive or a fool. I would not allow the people who had welcomed me into their home and their lands to be harmed by a boy pretending to be a man. 

I could feel my mother's anger at his appearance, she was on edge not knowing why a stranger was lingering outside the pack grounds, especially one that was closely related to Lamia. Whether I liked it or not, my mate was the son of my mother's enemy. She had caused my mother significant harm, she had broken my family. Lamia's actions had caused a ripple affect that was affecting everyone important in my life. Lamia had murdered the woman who had raised me and loved me unconditionally when I thought I was alone in the world. Ryan, my mate had just stood idly by and allowed it to happen. 

I was wearing a white summer dress, with thin straps, my appearance had dramatically changed since Ryan had last seen me. I was leaner, I was fitter, my curves had grown, my hair was longer. My eyes were no longer dull but were now golden. A part of me wondered if he would recognise me, whether he could identify and finally confirm that I was his mate. 

As my bare feet tapped silently on the ground, my mother had allowed me to leave the barrier while his back was turned. The gently breeze flowed through the air and all I could do was notice the difference in his frame. The one confident man who once held an air of arrogance about him, now looked frantic and desperate. His once muscular form that was intimidating, was now a man who had lost weight and muscular definition.

"Ryan." I whispered nonchalantly.

His shoulders hitched as my voice reached his ears. His body froze and his frantic pace just stopped. The bond I felt vibrated, the pull and tug towards him was something that I hadn't missed. The distance and space had allowed me to cope and accept his decision for a chosen mate. However, as the secrets began unfolding in relation to my parents, a part of me wonders whether we were a victim to the same play. Except this time, the technology and the science the enemy had was a lot more powerful. 

Ryan's head snapped in my direction. His eyes widened as he took in my appearance. He quickly turned his body in my direction and wiped his eyes like he could not believe that I was stood in front of him. His arms stretched out, his hand attempting to reach out to me. Only I took a step back, there is no way I could have the sparks flying until I knew why he was here. 

"Leyla.... Is it really you?" He says in disbelief. 

"Yes, it's me. Now what are you doing here?" I snapped. My back was straight and I refused to back down, I refused to wither away and let Amira take control. I was no longer the weak mate who relied on her wolf to give her the confidence boost she needed. I was a strong independent woman who would not allow him or his mother to cause me distress. I would not back down and I would not waver in cowardice like he did. 

"Leyla, are you with the Mallapers?" He asked with confusion in his tone. 

"That's not the question I asked Ryan. What are you doing here?" I ignored his question and pressed forward in a commanding tone.