Chapter Twenty Four

King Alexander's Point Of View

I wiggled my feet and they were bare as I could feel the sand slip between my toes. My eyes peeled open and the sky was beautiful. There were pink hues with emerald highlights running above. The contrasting colours seemed to work in harmony. The aches and pains that I once felt had managed to slip by. I felt at peace for the first time in my life. I had no worries it was like they had been wiped away.

Being King would have been seen as a blessing but truthfully it was anything but a curse. The burden that I had carried on my shoulders for years was exhausting. The responsibility had taken over my life. As I saw my life flashed past my eyes, I realised that I hadn't been living for myself but for the people I ruled over. 

I pushed up on the back of my hands, I realised I was on a beach. The waves were soft but crashed along the shore in a harmonious rhythm. The noise was something that soothed my soul and brought me peace that I thought I would never see after what Lily had told me. As I thought about the woman I had betrayed I didn't feel the sharp pain. It was replaced with an overwhelming sense of shame and disappointment as I began to hang my head. 

In the distance I could see two figures walking towards me. Both were holding hands, leaning on each other for support. They were entwined in their own company that I didn't think they noticed me as I was perched on the sand. As they came closer, my breath hitched. How is this possible? Both figures appeared with white cloth that covered their body. 

The couple stood in front of me. The man stood tall and wrapped his arm around the woman at his side. His features were dark, he had tanned skin with brown tousled hair, his jaw was square and his eyes were a deep hazel colour. There were wrinkles riddled across his skin, the crows coming out of the corner of his eyes showed he aged over the years. 

When I looked at the woman to his left, her mousy brown hair flowed down her back, her sparkling light brown eyes twinkled in happiness as she looked at me. She too had aged but her heigh cheekbones and sweetheart face was something I thought I would never seen. She was small and nestled closely into the man by her side. 

"Mom, Dad." I whispered. I could feel the tears gather in my eyes. 

"Hello Son." My father said with a small smile. 

"My sweet boy." My mother lovingly said. 

"How? Why? Where am I?" I whispered as the tears escaped. 

"You my son are in between worlds. The Moon Goddess sent us, so our time is limited with you." My father explained. 

"As for the why, you tried to kill yourself Alex." My mother whispered in pain. "What were you thinking?" She lectured. 

I know I should continue to feel ashamed and embarrassed but I couldn't help but feel happy that I was with my parents. I had missed them so much. Deep down I was hoping I would be brought to my child and spend my time in the afterlife with her but I couldn't waste the time I had with my father and mother. 

"Mother, I couldn't live with the pain. I had killed my child. Betrayed my mate. I don't deserve to be King. I am not worthy." I sobbed as I hung my head in shame. 

My parents separated themselves and both parted and I felt them both sink into the sand beside me. My mother stretched her arm out and pulled me to her side as I continued to sob erratically as she stroked my arm in confront. Since finding out the truth, this was the first time I felt at peace, I felt warm and safe. I was sheltered from the storm that I had created. 

"Son." My father sighed. "I feel your pain, what you did was careless and stupid. I won't lie to you and say that I am not disappointed in. You should have come to us with your concerns. You committed a grave sin." My father explained. "But you can't run away away from your problems, you have to make things right."