Chapter 23

{Long Chapter Ahead - 5,156 words}

-Before the Survey Corps left the Ermich district-

"Annie's background check finally came in." Hange said and showed Eren, Mikasa and Armin the papers she's holding. "It looks like two others from the 104th were born in the same region as her. Reiner Braun and Bertholdt Hoover." Hange said.

"Huh?" Eren said in confusion.

"Well, because of the chaos five years ago, all the family records were in a rough shape. The documents were so poorly managed that it took them until now to figure this out. Though,
I think Erwin had gotten this papers on him very easily in the first place and just sent it now." Hange said.

Armin's eyes widened a bit. "So, is the reason why Y/N is with the other 104th is because she was ordered by commander Erwin to observe our co-trainees?" Armin asked.

Hange nod her head. "Yes. I'm sure he's waiting for Y/N to report to him or to us. But until now, Y/N is not showing up. Maybe it's the reason why he already handed this to me." Hange said and let out a deep sigh.

What could've happen to Miche and his squad? How about the 104th? And especially Y/N? Hange thought.

"Reiner and Bertholdt. Those two were part of a group that was falsely told Eren was on the right side of the expedition outside the wall. Annie Leonhart, the female titan, appeared on the right side."

Hange looked at the trio.

"Of course, that doesn't prove anything on it's own. But just in case, I'd like to know the relationship between these three during their time in the training corps. What are your thoughts?" Hange asked.

"I knew that Reiner and Bertholdt were from the same hometown but
I never sensed that Annie was close to them." Armin said.

"Me neither. I don't remember seeing those two every really talking to Annie. Of course, Annie never talked much to begin with." Eren said.

"I don't recall." Mikasa said.

(A/N: Mikasa's too lazy to speak, eh? 😂😂😂)

"But as another member of the 104th, I don't think there's a strong reason to suspect them. Putting aside Bertholdt, who's always silent, Reiner's like our older brother and he doesn't seem clever enough to deceive people." Eren said.

Armin nod his head in agreement.
"I feel the same way. Reiner fought Annie together with me and Jean. Reiner was nearly crushed to death, and-" Armin suddenly stopped as if he just realized something.

"What's wrong?" Eren asked the blonde boy.

Armin looked at Eren. "Reiner got away, but Annie suddenly changed direction and ran off to where you were, Eren. I had also guessed out loud that you were probably in the center rear. But Annie was too far away to hear." Armin said.

"What do you mean?" Eren asked in confusion. His brows furrowing.

Hange nod her head. She held her chin. "But Reiner would have heard? Did he show an interest in Eren's location?" Hange asked the blonde boy.

Armin's eyes widened. He looked down as if he just realized another thought. "I talked about Eren's location because Reiner asked me about it." Eren and everyone else looked at Armin with wide eyes.

"And when the female titan was staring at her palm, she could have been looking at letters written on it with a blade. If Reiner carved them there!" Armin said.

"Huh?" Eren stared at Armin. "What the hell?" Eren muttered. He grabbed Armin's arms. "Why the hell would you say something that-"

"Eren!" Haneg called the green-eyed boy to shut him up.