ONE

Chapter One | Sunlyn

"Good Morning, Ms. Carter", I smile at my assistant, Rosie, grabbing my large frozen coffee that she brings me every morning. The french vanilla awakes my taste buds just how I like it.

"Good Morning, Rosie, and thank you," I responded to her.

After our exchange, I open my office door, settle all of my belongings down on my coffee table, take off my coat, and sit down to put on my heels. I always liked wearing my pink crocs to work, before putting on my heels. The office is only a short walking distance from the subway. So, it was just easier to slip on the crocs and get some fresh air.

"So, you have to meet with the newly joining publishing author later today and the weekly chairmen's lunch meeting at 12pm. So your day is pretty light for the most part." Rosie spoke up in the doorway. "Oh, and I almost forgot, Mrs. Archibald, requested a meeting with you."

Furrowing my eyebrows, glancing to the side at her, "For what?"

She shrugs her shoulders, "I'm not sure. But, that was her first request of the morning, so I believe it is quite important."

Sighing, "What time does she want to meet with me." Sipping into my last heel then stand up to fix my outfit in the mirror, in the corner of my office.

"Oh, I wrote this down," Rosie scrambled through the pages of her notepad. "She said and I quote '9:50 sharp and please make sure that you are parking in the correct parking spot, I'm tired of getting complaints, Rosie.'" She said mimicking our boss's very unique British accent, I swear that woman makes being British her only personality trait.

I laugh at Rosie's horrible impression and check my watch. "Shit", speaking lowly say to myself. It is already 9:40, I look over my outfit one more time in the mirror then turned to walk out of my office.

"Can you send a reminder email to the author I'm supposed to meet with? I won't have a repeat of last week." I quickly say to Rosie before making my way to the elevator. She gives a quick nod before leaving my office and heading to her desk.

I hop on the elevator and press the thirteenth-floor button, the doors closed and took me up.

Why would my boss request a meeting with me? Am I getting a raise? Because a girl always wanted a Tel-far bag. Did I do something wrong? Am I getting fired? Overthinking is such a pain in the ass.

The chime of the elevator stopping got me out of my head. I took a deep breath as I walked through the hallway that would get me to my boss's office. Her assistant, who was on the phone signaled for me to enter, but wrote on a post-it note to knock first.

The knock echoed through the halls, I felt like I was in one of those scenes in Game Of Thrones. One more knock and a bunch of lanterns would set a flame leading a pathway leading me to the sex dungeon.

"Come in", I heard from the other side of the door.

Opening the door, and walking up to her desk, when I spoke up, "Morning, Mrs. Archibald. I heard you wanted to see me."

"Ahh, Ms. Carter, come sit, we have important matters I want to discuss with you." I sat down in one of the two chairs facing her desk.

She leans forward in her desk chair, or can I say throne? The thing is huge, for such a tiny woman. "So as you may know, our original headquarters in London is looking for a new senior member. And I can say, firsthand, that our search has been an adventure, but it is now that I realized that we've been looking far and wide when the candidate we've been looking for was closer than we'd thought. "

I stare at her not completely ready for what would come out of her mouth next.

"That would be you, Ms. Carter."

"Really?" I said in full shock

"Yes," she nodded. "Your last work with the author covering the election race in Georgia was quite a worldwide, almost made me forget that I didn't already know who the winner was already," she joked.

"Well, thank you, Mrs. Archibald, that means a whole lot coming from you."

Only because I am that bitch...

"Of course, dear," she beamed. "Job requires you to be in London for about two years, and more if you would consider a permanent spot. You would receive double the amount of money from your current salary. Also, including a flat with the first two-month rent paid and a driver, that would take you to and from work every day and anywhere else you please."

"Wow, this is so much to take in." I smiled at her

"It was well overdue, and before I forget. You will be working with my godson, he is another chair member of the company. You two are close in age and I spoke to him about you, so if you need any help while you're out there he would surely do it," She said with a wink.

"That will be no problem, so when do I start the job?" She hands me a small booklet, quickly skimming through the pages. It's a whole itinerary for the next two months. My fingers glided down the slick pages, excitement rushed through my body. This is everything I've worked so hard for.

...

<3