FOURTEEN

Chapter Fourteen| Dario

As I enter my home, nothing but sadness and rage filled my body. In desperate need of a drink, I quickly make it to my office avoiding all the stares of my men that watched me throughout my home. I was gonna kill Pierce, but first I needed my men behind me. When I killed him I was going to make a lesson out of it for anyone else that wanted to fuck with me. But the first thing that needed to be done was for me to get my woman back.

I struck fear in her heart which is something I never want to happen. The image of the look on her face when she saw me there. She didn't see the same Dario she's gotten to know what she saw was the other side of me, a part of me I never want her to know about. But, when you lived the life I've lived you don't get those types of story endings. Sitting back in my chair, sipping the darkest liquor I could find in my bar. I find myself wanting more, wanting more of her and the bright future that comes with her.

A knock whispers on the door, before it's pushed open. "I can say by the way your acting right now, that it didn't go too well," my brother spoke. I still sat in silence, "Brother more will come and even more will go, that's just the way life works."

"Shut up Theo," I harshly said.

"Okay fine." Before he turned his back, "We have to make the call with or without you, bro. But as boss, I think the men rather hear it from you."

Sighing, dragging myself out of the chair, and putting on my best poker face, "Let's go."

...

Two Weeks Later

Sunlyn

"Why do you do that to yourself?" Cassidy asked on Facetime.

"Do what?" I asked her while rubbing the makeup off my face.

"Just self-sabotage yourself," she whined. "You do it all the time."

"No, I don't."

"Yes, you do, Sunlyn." She continues, "Anytime a potential relationship is created in your life, you just find some way to ruin it. Create some bullshit excuse, then ghost them claiming that it's taking your attention away from your career."

"Girl, he literally shot someone."

"Bitch, you don't know. It could've been an axe murderer that was trying to kill him and you came in at the wrong time." Well, it did look like it. "But, your dumbass wouldn't even let him explain."

"Whatever and it doesn't matter, it's already over between us. So can we let it go?"

"Okay, fine since you're so over him, go find another guy and let me bet money on how fast you dump him."

Rolling my eyes, "So what you think I can't keep a man?"

"I think physically you can keep a man like just look at your beautiful self. But, mentally, my black sister you just don't have that figured out quite quickly yet."

Shit, she might be right. And I could explain to her that it wasn't just Dario pointing a gun at some guy. But it was someone he knew, and she called him such vile things. It couldn't just be some break-in. But, a part of me was sheltering the real him from her, for what reason I don't even know.

But, I'm dwelling on him any longer, I got more hearts to break.

...

After the things that went down with Dario, there have been zero forms of contact. But while in Senior meetings I sometimes catch his eyes on me for long periods of time. The type of stares that would have your sex organs ablaze. Other than that, nothing.