56.Benedetta

Language: French

Language: French

Benedetta is a biography on a lesbian nun of the 17th century. This was my first nun movie and it was a mixture of blasphemy, torture and pleasure. As a non religious person it was very comical for me to see everyone do extreme things all in the name of god.

Along with blasphemy, the main theme of the movie was eroticism. Whether it be Benedetta's weirdly erotic dreams about Jesus or the use of Virgin Mary's doll as a dildo ( YES!! A FUCKING DILDO 😭 😂), everything in the movie was very heavily dependent on sexual desire and it's blend with spirituality.

Although I find it a bit creepy how a 83 year old cishet white man directed such graphic lesbian sex scenes, I'm gonna have to admit I enjoyed it quite a bit.

But I was very uncomfortable during the torture scenes and the scene where Benedetta and Bartolomea were shitting together just after they met. Even tho I understand it was period typical  for that era but still it very weird nonetheless.

The ending was very frustrating to me because surprisingly both of our lesbian nuns who I thought would be killed by the end were alive!!! But Benedetta like the crazy nun she is decided to go back to the town after fucking her lover for one last time which unsuprisingly resulted in her getting imprisoned for life.