77.Maja Ma

Language: Hindi

Language: Hindi

Now before talking about this movie, I would like to talk about its name, I don't know whether it was intentional or unintentional, but the title acts as a pun, which I find very interesting. 'Majama'means everything's fine in Gujrati which the family of our protagonist is but it also means 'My mom' in Marathi which suits the story because it is a story about a mother.

Another thing personally for me as an Indian was to see 'Madhuri Dixit' play a sapphic character. She isn't just any popular actress, she was the QUEEN of Bollywood in the 90's with hardcore fans willing to die for her, and to see such an icon play queer made me feel very warm, and even though the movie itself might not be the best I could do it all over again just for her.

Now coming back to the movie, I can safely say it has everything you see in a typical Indian film from its cheesy but soulful songs, awkwardly hilarious family dynamics to melodramatic love confessions. I loved those things about it. I also love the message that Mothers like everyone else are humans too and should be put on a pedestal to be the symbol of perfection. 

But on the other hand, the children were so infuriating. I don't know which one's worse, a homophobic son who tries to cure your gayness or a toxic ally daughter who calls you a coward for not being able to come out, basically forcing you without realizing how much repressed trauma you must have gone through. 

I would say the ending is bittersweet but it's understandable because it was never a lesbian love story but rather about a queer mom being able to accept herself.