1

March 2021 | Atlanta, GA | 3 years later.

"Bitch just do it. What are you so scared of?" Milani's sister, Solan, said over the phone.

"What do you mean what am I scared of? Those are rapists, murderers, kidnappers! You want me to be happy?" Milani asked, doing research on her computer.

"Pooh we grew up with murderers. But if you wanna fail, go ahead and fail. I don't care." Solan shrugged.

"You said we grew up with murderers like that's normal." She mumbled, and Solan shrugged again.

"Take your boyfriend with you if you that scared." Solan smirked, and she rolled her eyes.

"You've been saying that same tired ass joke for four years. Please give it up, you know Nana isn't my boyfriend." She glanced at the camera, and her sister laughed, making her smile.

"Girl whatever. But, I have to go. The prison you got assigned to finna be closed for the next week cause of bad weather, so if you wanna pass, you better go now. Byeeee." Solan waved, ending the FaceTime call.

"All week?" Milani frowned, searching up Rikers State Prison of Atlanta.

"Damn." She mumbled, still frowning. It was currently Thursday, and her project was due the upcoming Thursday.

Her sister was right; if she didn't go now, she wouldn't make the deadline and it'd take her grade down tremendously.

Milani was in her third year of college studying to be a social worker. Her professor assigned the students a project where they'd have to interview prisoners to try and better understand why they did what they did.

It was to help fund the prison, the school would be paying them $15,000 to allow the students to work with an assigned prisoner and their family for a month.

Milani was took out of her thoughts by her phone ringing. She answered it, putting it to her ear.

"Come open the door." Toosii said once the call connected, and she stood out of her bed.

"Okay." She mumbled, hanging up and tossing her phone on her bed. She walked towards the front of her apartment, opening the door.

She laid eyes on Toosii, who was scrolling on his phone, a bag of food in his hand. He looked up, a smile gracing his face.

"Wassup pooh pooh girl?" He kissed the side of her face.

"I really wish you would stop calling me that cringe ass name. I'm not 5, I'm 20." She mumbled, and he chuckled, closing the door.

"Yo mama said I can call you that, so shut up. Why youn got no clothes on?" He asked, following her to her room.

Her mom had given her the nickname 'Pooh Pooh girl' when she was a baby, and as she got older, the other words had dropped and now they just called her 'Pooh'.

"Where yo clothes at?" She mocked the tiktok, deepening her voice, making him laugh.

She smiled, grabbing the bag of food from him as she sat in her bed.

"I do have on clothes. Thank you for this." She mumbled, eating the fries from Popeyes.

Milani was currently wearing spandex shorts with the matching bra, her straight hair thrown up into a bun.

"You welcome pooh. What you got goin'?" He pulled his hoodie and sneakers off, laying next to her.

"Nothing I just got off the phone with my sister." She mumbled, closing up her food.

"You ain't even eat it. You not hungry mama?" He looked at her, and she shook her head.

"I'm nervous. Got my stomach bubbling." She drunk from her sweet tea.