The Hardest Goodbye

This chapter jumps ahead halfway through, it was originally two but I couldn't write enough to make two full chapters so I put them together.

It's also very different from the ways I've written this chapter previously, but hopefully with the right amount of emotion.

*Warning contains slight trigger content*

November 1991

London

"Any update on Alyssia?" Freddie asks quietly, his voice can't get any louder now, it hurts his throat too much.

Anita and Brian are at Garden Lodge visiting Freddie and unknowingly saying their goodbyes.

Brian shakes his head, "DCI Brookes seems to have hit a dead end. Though they've now found out that the kidnapper somehow got through the Heathrow and onto the plane without a passport."

"Heathrow really fucked up there," Freddie huffs thinking back to the days when he worked there.

"It does mean though that when the kidnapper got off the plane at JFK with Alyssia, they didn't get on another plane." It's not much help to them now, in nine months the kidnapper could have obtained a new passport and they could be anywhere now.

"I just wish I could have seen her again before I go. In the draw," Freddie gestures Anita to the draw in the vanity by the window, "There is a light blue box."

Anita opens the draw and sees the box at the top, it's a flat square jewellery box, "Can I open it?" She asks him sitting back in her chair.

"Please do," He watches her open it. It's a silver necklace and the charm is an ice skating boot inside a crescent moon, "I found it in January and I was going to give it to Alyssia on her second birthday but... When she comes home, make sure you give it to her."

"It's beautiful, Freddie

"It's beautiful, Freddie. I'll make sure she gets it," She puts it in her bag.

"Never give up looking for her, I have every faith you'll find her again," He has to stifle a yawn at the end.

Brian silently agrees with Anita that it's time to go, "Freddie, we're going to go and let you get some rest."

They say their goodbyes to him and Anita leaves the room but Freddie holds Brian back for a moment, "Remember what I said, Brian. You're a good dad, don't you dare think otherwise. I know this year has been tough on you, first Alyssia, then your dad and now me but do let it get too much for you. If you need help or to talk to someone then do it, don't suffer in silence."

"Thanks, love you mate," Brian doesn't feel sappy for saying that either, Freddie is a brother to him just like Roger and John are. Freddie smiles saying it back and lets go of his hand.

They'd only been home an hour or two when Freddie's aids announcement was released on the news. Brian never imagined that the next day he'd get the call he's been dreading.