The Truth

October 1997

Making friends at school have not been Erin's strong suit, she spends most lunchtimes on her own in the library.

She uses her time wisely though, doing all her homework, then spending the rest of lunch searching through books to find the man in her memory. So far she has yet to find him.

Reading through another book, Erin is interrupted by John, "Hey, Joe and Mary asked me to invite you to go trick or treating with us next Friday? Mary also wants to know if you'll go shopping with her tomorrow?"

"Um... yes to both," She goes back to her book expecting him to leave but when she feels him still standing there she looks up and he's looking at her eyebrows raised, "What?"

"Why do you hide away in here? No offence but you need some friends your age."

Erin signs, she knows he's right, "I know but I'm rubbish at making friends besides, everyone here picks on me calling me a nerd, brain box, loner. I'm starting to think homeschooling was better." The truth is she misses Emma, even if it has been three years she still misses her and she's afraid of making new friends in case Tina moves them again.

------

Out at the mall with Mary the next day, they shop for Halloween costumes. Erin decides to match Joe and John's Alice in Wonderland theme and go as the White Queen while Mary is going has Alice. Joe is going as the Mad Hatter and John is going has Tweedle Dumb and Tweedle Dee with his friend and Mary's friend is joining them too as the Queen of Hearts.

While they were there, Mary needed to go into the music store so Erin goes with her. Mary goes straight to the rock section, while she's looking, Erin wonders up the aisle.

She wasn't really looking until something caught her eye, she spots one of the Q sections subtitles, Queen. She knows that name, she's sure of it.

Flipping through the first album she stops at the second and third, Queen II and Sheer Heart Attack, it's the covers that capture her interest. The curly-haired man from her memory is on both covers with three other men she vaguely recognises, one of them being that singer she heard about on the news that died.

"You ready to go?" Mary comes over to her once she's picked up what she wanted, "You alright?" She asks after getting no response, Erin just stares at the cover.

"Him..." Erin points to the man, "That's the man in my memory."

Mary huffs not thinking her seriously, "That's Brian May, Erin. He's the guitarist for a British band called Queen. They're amazing actually."

"He looks younger here but I'm sure that's him," She flips through a few more albums picking up all that have the band on the front, The Game, The Works and The Miracle, the last two looking more like the man in the memory, "Yeah, that's him."

"You're not joking are you?" Mary looks her dead in the eye and gets the answer from the look in Erin's eyes, "Come on, let's pay for this then go home, we can use the computer to search him."

There's no one Mazzello home when they get there, the boys are at their friends and Mary's parents are at work.

They go straight up to Mary's room, "Your sure that's him?" Mary checks again while waiting for the computer to load.

"Yeah, I haven't been able to forget that face since and I've had that dream a few times now." It's the same one every time now, she can't forget that face, "It's definitely him."

Searching Brian May, they find plenty on him, "Says here Brian May has three children, James (Jimmy) May, Louisa May and Emily May with ex-wife Chrissie Mullen. Then another child, Alyssia May with current partner Anita Dobson," Mary reads aloud, "Oh wait. It says that Brian May's youngest daughter, Alyssia, went missing on the 6th of February 1991 and has yet to be found. Six and a half years, poor parents, they must really miss her."