I Didn't Know

Just a warning, this chapter contains a subject that some may find upsetting.

"Lissy?! Where are you love?" Toby shouts on entering the house, he's just got back from the shop on the way home from work. They're having a house warming/engagement party tonight and he expected to find Alyssia busy in the kitchen or getting things ready, but the house is silent.

Meddow runs downstairs and meows, rubbing his leg, "What is she, Dow?" He goes upstairs to their bedroom and she's asleep in the bed but curled up and looking uncomfortable.

"Lissy?" He mutters, kneeling on the floor next to the bed, running his fingers lightly through her hair.

She stirs blinking a few times before focusing her eyes on him, "Hey, what time is it?"

"4 o'clock. You alright? You don't look well," Her forehead feels warm and she's holding her tummy.

"Period pains. I was a week late but it came this morning and when I'm late, the cramps hit more intensely."

"Did you want to cancel tonight?"

"No, I'm looking forward to it," She hasn't since her friends since Ben's birthday and she wants to celebrate getting engaged.

"If your not well then they'll understand."

"It's just my period, Toby. I'll be fine once I've taken some painkillers, I'll just stay off the alcohol tonight," She sits up intending to get out of bed, but he stops her.

"No, I'll get them. We'll go ahead with it if you want, but on the condition that you sleep until you need to get ready," She doesn't argue with him.

When he comes back with some water and the tablets, Freddie and Meddow are both curled up next to her stomach, "They make good hot water bottles," She giggles lightly, "What about setting up for tonight?"

"Don't worry about that, I'll sort it. Take these and sleep," He orders.

"Yes sir," She salutes, downing the tablets then lays back down, "Wake me at 5pm, please. It'll get me an hour to get ready."

------

By the time Zoe, Paige and Victoria arrive, Alyssia is feeling so much better. She doesn't get as dressed up as she planned, sticking with some leggings and a nice dressy top, but she's comfortable and her cramps have subsided.

"Show us the ring," Victoria grabs Alyssia's hand and squeals, "It's so pretty. Good job, Toby," She compliments going into the kitchen to pester him, her favourite thing to do.

"Congratulations," Paige and Zoe hug her at the same time, "We love the house too."

"Thank you, go grab a drink," She encourages.

"Are you not drinking?" Zoe stays back with her friend while Paige gets them a drink.

"No, it's that time of the month and I had to choose painkillers over alcohol."

"Oh... it's shit being a girl sometimes." Alyssia can't argue with that.

Within an hour the rest of the guests arrive, they're not having a massive party, they don't want to get off on the wrong foot with their neighbours but it's the close family and friends.

Mavis, Brian and Anita, Jimmy and his wife, Louisa and her husband, Emily and her boyfriend. Zoe, Paige, Victoria and Ben. Roger, his new girlfriend, Sarina and Rory, Rufus, Tigerlily and Lola. Toby also has a close work colleague in the mix.

Alyssia did invite Chrissie, John and Veronica, but Chrissie agreed to pop round for a coffee at some point not wanting to make Brian and Anita uncomfortable. John and Veronica also said they'd pop round later in the week too.