Snowball Fights

Hyde Park, Dutchess County

A week after being in their new home, Erin and Tina woke to two and a half inches of snow covering the ground outside.

Erin woke first feeling cold and gets out of bed to grab her fleece blanket. Walking past the window she glances out and stops in her tracks, seeing the snow on the ground and more falling. Squealing she grabs her dressing gown instead, wrapping it around her and runs to her mum's room.

She jumps onto the bed, "Mummy, it's snowing! Real, proper snow. Can I go out and play in it?"

Wanting nothing more than to go back to sleep, Tina agrees, "Yes but wrap up warm first and only play in the backyard, not the front okay?"

"Okay," Erin jumps off the bed running back to her room. Tina spent all week decorating Erin's new bedroom and she loves it.

Stripping off her pyjamas, Erin gets changed putting on her thick winter socks, warm leggings, hoodie and coat then a hat, scarf and gloves plus her Wellington boots

She runs back to her mum's room, "Is this okay?"

Tina opens one eye looks over her attire then gives her a thumbs up, "Have fun."

Racing outside, Erin runs down the decking steps into the fallen snow. She starts off making a few snow angels, then proceeds to make a snowman.

That keeps her busy for a while until she realises she doesn't have anyone to enjoy it will. No one to have a snowball fight with, she sits on the decking contemplating her next move.

While sitting there she hears the kids from the house to her left running outside to enjoy the snow. She gets off the step and heads over to the fence.

There are two boys and a girl, all of them look older than her. She watches them play in the snow and didn't realise she'd zoned out until the youngest accidentally throws a snowball at his brother but it goes straight past him and hits Erin in the face, "Ow!" Erin stumbles backwards caught off guard.

"Sorry!" The older brother comes running over to the fence, "Are you okay?"

Erin wipes the snow off and nods, "I'm okay."

"You the new neighbour?" The boy's sister comes over.

"Yeah, I'm Erin Jacobs."

"Nice to meet you, Erin. I'm Mary Mazzello, this is my younger brother, Joe," She pats Joe's shoulder then points behind her, "and that is our youngest brother, John."

"Sorry for hitting yea," John apologizes joining his siblings.

"It's okay. I shouldn't have been nosy."

"No siblings?" Mary observes the backyard behind Erin.

"Nope, just me and my mum."

"You want to play with us," Joe offers it's the least they can do after hitting her, "Snowball fights aren't a lot of fun on your own."