Baby's Room

I'm updating today instead of Friday because of shift changes, but my other two updates for this week will remain on Saturday and Sunday.

September 2011

With a week off work, Toby is finally starting on a job he's been putting off for the last month, the nursery.

His weeks are busy when he is working and he didn't want to rush it, but they've also been waiting on the 20 weeks scan which is this afternoon, they're finding out their baby's gender today.

He spent the morning removing the furniture as well as the boxes of stuff they've already brought for the baby. He wiped down the walls and the windowsill ready to start decorating tomorrow.

"Alyssia, Toby, lovely to see you again," Megan greets at their appointment. Alyssia knows the drill and sits on the bed while Toby sits on the stool, "How have you been feeling since the 12-week scan?"

"Better, backache is starting to become a problem but a warm bath helps. My morning sickness has mostly gone, I only get it around certain foods now like egg, though I love fish again," She's been craving tuna and cucumber or salmon and pickle sandwiches over the last week.

"There's nothing wrong with that, fish is good due to the omega 3. Any movement yet?"

"No, I've been waiting on it but nothing yet," Alyssia can't wait to feel their baby kick so that Toby can feel it too.

"You should start feeling the movement within the next month," Megan asks a few more questions before getting Alyssia to lay back.

There's a comfortable silence while she checks their baby over looking for anything that could be a concern, "Baby looks good and healthy, a strong heartbeat, everything has formed as it should its just development and weight gain from now. I can tell you the gender, would you like to know?"

"Definitely," They answer at the same time neither of them cares what they have because they'll be more than happy with either.

"You're having a..." Megan studies the screen to double-check, "Girl." She turns the screen for them to see their baby girl.

Finishing up the appointment, it's not till they're next to the car that Toby says something, "Told you she would be a little girl ready to steal my heart."

Wrapping her arms around his shoulders they meet each other halfway in a kiss, "Hmm... she'll have you wrapped around her finger from the moment she is born."

"Probably," He kisses her again his hand rubbing the side of her bump, "You want to go pick out stuff for the nursery."

"You read my mind," She grins pulling away from him and slides into the car with Toby holding the door open for her.

He walks around the front of the car and gets in the driver's side, "I want to get most of the painting done tomorrow if I can." He might recruit Brian's help, "Oh and starting today, you're not allowed in that room until it's finished, okay?"

"Okay," She doesn't mind him making it his project. She heard him tell Ben when he was visiting a few days ago that he feels rubbish because she's carrying their child and there's not a lot he can do for her, this is something she can't do so she'll leave most of it to him.

They get the main pieces of furniture while shopping that afternoon, cot, wardrobe, changing table with drawers and a bassinet to go in their room for the first few months. They got the paint and a car seat. The pushchair is on order waiting to be delivered, they'll wait on everything else for the baby shower.

Toby does end up inviting Brian over the next day and they get straight to work painting the walls. He was surprised when Alyssia chose to keep colours natural and the few soft furnishings they did get were mainly blue though he knows Alyssia is not a big fan of pink. Her main reasoning though is so they can use the nursery in the future whether it's a boy or girl.