Saying Goodbye

In the week between the funeral, Alyssia didn't go a day without crying. She received loads of condolence cards from friends and family but nothing can stop the pain she feels.

The postmortem came back two days after Toby's death, showing that it was a result of an infection in the heart due to a small piece of bullet shrapnel left behind after the surgery, it had not shown up on any x-rays.

After that, a day was picked for the funeral and the Metropolitan Police kindly offered to pay for it. The day before the funeral, Toby's boss, David Nelson came to see Alyssia.

"David," Alyssia greets him at the door, "Good to see you."

"It's lovely to see you too," David smiles, "Might I come in? I have some legal stuff to talk about."

She stands aside letting him in, "Of course, please come in."

"Thank you. Oh, hello," He crouches down to greet Ivy, "You must be Ivy."

Ivy shyly hides behind Alyssia's leg, "Ivy, this is your daddy's boss, David Nelson."

"Hi, you're a policeman too?"

"I am."

"Do you a have a police car with the sirens? Daddy said he'd let me ride in one when I got older."

"Well, I'm sure that can be arranged though I don't have one with me today."

Alyssia picks the gap to send Ivy upstairs, there's another knock at the door not two seconds after and she answers the door to Miami.

"I hope you don't mind me inviting Jim," David interjects, "I figured you'd be a bit more comfortable with a familiar face and of course, he is your lawyer."

"No, I don't mind. Make yourself comfortable in the living room, I'll go make us a coffee."

"How have you been?" Miami doesn't see much of the Queen children, but he still cares about them.

"Honestly, I miss Toby so much. Ivy mentions him all the time and I know that's because she misses him, I think even Olivia misses him," She's only a baby but once or twice in the past week Olivia would not stop crying in Alyssia's hold, she wonders if Olivia is looking for him, "I can't sleeping in my room because all I can see is Toby dead in the bed next to me, so I'm sleeping in the spare room," Meddow keeps her company at night now, "And this house has so many memories, but it's a painful reminder that he's not here."

"Have you considered moving?" He's aware that this house was Alyssia and Toby's dream home but things are different now.

The thought had crossed her mind, "Maybe."

Finishing off the coffee, Alyssia carries hers and Nelson in while Miami takes his own, "Thank you," Nelson accepts the mug, "I know you must be wondering why I'm here. I'm not sure if you are aware, but when a police officer starts the job they are assigned the task of writing a will and setting up a life insurance plan. We also get them to write a letter for a loved one should they ever be killed on the job and we get them to rewrite it every few months."

He pulls a file out of his briefcase, "This is the letter, I'll let you open that in private when I'm gone. But I'll let Jim talk you through the will."

Jim reads its aloud, all money is to legally be transferred to Alyssia and any of Toby's belongings are now hers including his car. All bills and the house are under Alyssia's name.

Due to the insurance plan Toby took out, the house mortgage is completely paid off meaning that Alyssia doesn't have to worry about it, just the bills. Toby's pension also transfers across to Alyssia.