Tie the Knot

"Mum?" Alyssia comes into the kitchen on her crutches after collecting the mail.

She was released from the hospital two weeks ago, but it's going to take a while for her to heal. Really she should be using a wheelchair since using crutches won't help her wrist heal right but she's stubborn and won't use it.

She looks up from a letter addressed to her mum with a sudden question in mind, "Why are you Miss Dobson but dad is Mr May?" She carefully climbs onto the barstool.

"Because your dad and I aren't married," Anita takes her letter from Alyssia, "If I was married to him I'd take his name becoming Mrs May though Anita Dobson would remain as my acting name."

"Why aren't you married?" It's never occurred to Alyssia that they aren't married.

Anita shrugs, it never really mattered to them, Brian and Anita know they love each other, "After everything with your disappearance it just never happened, life just got in the way."

"But there's nothing to get in the way now," Alyssia points out. The fact that her mum and dad aren't husband and wife is something she needs to fix.

"Why are you asking?" Anita eyes her suspiciously. Alyssia shrugs sliding off the barstool and hops away to find her dad.

Reaching the studio takes a lot longer now she's on crutches. It takes her around fifteen minutes but she gets there.

She huffs pushing the door open with the crutch making Brian jump, she takes her letter out of her mouth and passes it to him, "We need a lift in this house."

Smirking, Brian takes the letter eyebrow raised at the teeth marks on it, "What?!" She pouts dropping onto the sofa in the room, "I needed both hands to get up the stairs, where else was I meant to put it?" He chuckles, opening the letter anyway.

"Daaad?"

"Yeaaah?" He glances up at her then continues reading his letter.

"Why haven't you asked mum to marry you?"

Putting his letter away, he thinks on the question for a moment and ends up giving the same answer as Anita did, "It just never happened. Why are you asking?"

"You've been together for 12 years which is a very long time and as a bonus, I'd get to be there too. I think you should ask her. "

"Do you?" He looks at his watch then back at her, it's not the conversation he thought he'd be having today but she's right, they have been together a long time.

They had spoken about marriage when Alyssia came along but then she went missing and they both agreed they'd want her there. They can do that now, "Get your shoes and coat," He stands turning everything off, "We're going out."

"Dad," She stops him before he leaves the room, "If you want to leave quickly and hand would help."

Taking pity on her, he turns around and crouches down in front of her, "Climb on," He gestures to his back, "And watch your leg."

She hops on the best she can hitting her chest on impact, "Ow," She moans, "Ribs."

"You good?" Brian checks, the last thing they need is for her to do some more damage to her cracked ribs.

"Yep, I'm good," She grabs her crutches and holds on tight.

"Blimey, your heavy," He groans jokingly, she's actually very light proving just how underweight she was. She's getting better though.

"I am 11 now," She rests her head on his shoulder and he walks down the stairs, "Oh and I've put on three pounds this week."

Brian snickers finding it funny that she's excited about gaining weight, it's the right path though. She's starting to look like her old self again, "Good, you'll be back to your old self in no time. I'm sure Christmas will help with that."