A Curtain of Mist

Dear Kazuma-sama,

My time on the steamship has been so strange. It is lonely, but it's always so loud. My room is very small, with a tiny European-style bed. I miss our tatami mat, and the quiet of home, but I'm so excited to see London. I can scarcely keep still when I think about it.

It's taken me some time to be able to read without feeling a terrible uneasiness. There's a constant motion when onboard a vessel—it took me an entire to feel steady on my feet again! Don't worry, Kazuma-sama, I am exercising and walking plenty now. And all this travel time has given me the perfect chance to practise English and study etiquette.

Sleep has been difficult, especially with all the dreams I keep having. I hope my father will not be upset that I have gone all this way to see him. I really don't know what to expect. But at least I know your wonderful father will be waiting to greet me. I can't wait to see all the incredible things he mentioned before in his letters!

Please share my words with obaachan, whenever you receive them.

— Susato Mikotoba.

***

At long last, the boat slowed and began pulling into the harbour. Susato's breath caught. She could see it. The shape of Britain hovering at the fringes of the waters, appearing through the mist like a hand drawing apart a curtain. She looked on with wonder. The boats sitting at the harbour. The docks stretching out like fingers. Her heart thundered in her chest. Finally, this long lonely voyage at sea was come to its end.

She stepped onto the gangplank and crossed into uncertainty.

***

The sight of Genshin Asogi was a terrific relief to Susato's heart. He looked a bit older and was dressed differently now, in Western-style clothing, but his face and bearing were unmistakable.

"Genshin-sama!"

"Susato."

They bowed to each other. And then Susato threw herself forward and hugged him. Her heart was so gladdened by the sight of him. After six years of missing him and fifty days of being alone with strangers, Susato could not stop herself from tearing up. His familiar strength and calm surrounded her, and then Genshin patted her hair gently before pulling away from their familial embrace.

Genshin studied her face, smiling gently.

"You have matured so much, Susato. You truly are a woman full grown now."

Susato smiled. Then suddenly became acutely aware of the presence of another man. She cast her glance sideways. He was remarkably tall and pale, with a strong jaw and imperial features. A brilliant red coat of ostentatious design complimented his stately bearing and vividly blue eyes. Susato tried not to stare, but it was impossible not to be stunned by his stature and manner of dress. His eyes shifted towards her, and the severity of his face was instantly undermined by a warm smile. He bowed to her grandly. Susato bowed back.

"Miss Susato Mikotoba, this is my dear friend, Lord Klint van Zieks," Genshin said.

"A pleasure to greet you as you step foot into our fair nation," Klint said, his accent crisp and his voice regal.

A lord? Susato's nerves intensified.

"The pleasure is mine. It is a great honour to be greeted by such a kind lord," Susato said demurely, and bowed again.

Klint's smile grew a shade brighter. "Such a well-mannered guest is very welcome, indeed. Genshin has told me all about you. I hear you are quite learned, Miss Mikotoba."

"Thank you, my lord. You compliment me highly," she said.

"Brave, too, to travel all this way. And for such a noble purpose. I simply had to offer use of my carriage and meet Genshin's ward for myself," Klint said.

Susato felt the tension within ease slightly. "I cannot thank you enough, my lord."

"I am sure you are eager to see London, proper. Let us depart at once," Klint said.

Susato smiled, excitement and nervousness both gripping her. Genshin picked up her suitcase, and the three set about on their way.