Matters of Blood

Susato paused at the edge of the table. She tried to find her voice, but her throat was so tight and her pulse was so thick she could feel her heart beating in her mouth. She bowed instead, and waited for his eyes to lift from his papers.

Finally, she heard his chair scrape back. And then his feet hit the floor. Susato straightened and found herself staring up into the face that was supposed to be her father's. She looked at him searchingly, trying to hunt out any trace of familiarity, any sense of connection and relation. It was useless, like trying to find animal tracks in a squall. Yet as she looked at him, she saw something alight in his eyes. His brow furrowed darkly, tension leaping into his jaw.

"Can I help you?" he said, his tone clipped, wary.

Susato's breath caught. "Anou, ah...My apologies." She bowed again. "Are you...Are you Yujin Mikotoba?"

"Yes. I am. And you are?"

"I am Susato Mikotoba. Your daughter."

His hand clutched the back of his chair. "Susato?"

"Y-Yes. I came here to see you...father."

"Why?"

Susato flinched. Tried to find words, but her mind was completely blank. The way he was staring at her pained her.

"I—I wanted to...to meet you," she forced out.

"You look so much like Ayame," he said.

Susato's heart clenched. A smile rose shakily to her lips as her eyes began to well with tears. She had always wondered about her mother, had tried to learn more than her grandmother had ever told her, than anyone had. To hear she resembled her brought pain and joy both.

Yujin looked away. "Well, you have seen me. I am afraid I am very busy."

"Oh, yes. I am sure. Oh! But I must ask you something."

"Then ask."

"Oh, well, Lord Klint van Zieks was kind enough to invite Genshin-sama and me to his manor for dinner this evening. And—And your presence was requested as well."

"I will not be able to attend," Yujin said quickly.

Susato fought to keep herself from frowning. "I understand. I have heard you are highly regarded, and quite busy besides."

"Lord van Zieks has been kind enough to give you a place to stay?" Yujin said.

"Oh, no. I could not possibly prevail upon his good graces in such a way," Susato said.

"Then where are you staying?"

"...I have not found accommodation, as of yet," she said.

"Genshin can help you find something then," he said.

Susato flinched, nearly backed down from what she was about to say, then forced herself forward. "Father, if it is not too great an imposition, I was hoping...Perhaps...May I stay with you? It would be a great honour to spend time with you."

"If you truly have nowhere else, then I suppose I have little choice," Yujin said stiffly and began to gather up his papers. He pulled them into a stack and butted them against the table to straighten them. "There should be enough room for you at Baker Street. 221B. You can come tonight if you haven't found something else by then."