Winter's Sudden Entrance

The following day, Susato decided to go to the university. She knew there was a chance that she would encounter her father, but she wanted to visit the campus anyway, to see how it looked blanketed with glittering frost and a face of white. And, even more critically, she had a small mission to carry out.

Barok had left early in the morning to attend his classes and study, and had forgotten an important book. So Susato had no choice but to journey to the campus. She trembled in the carriage, surprised by just how damp and biting the cold was. Barok's words had not been an exaggeration by any means.

Wet flakes tumbled from the sky, melting on her face as Susato wandered through the university grounds, a book bag at her side, breath misting in the air. Thankfully, Lady Baskerville had outfitted her with a heavy coat and a fashionable but practical hat.

Across the white-sheeted lawn, their paths intersected. Yujin was walking, head down. He looked up as Susato passed. She forced herself not to look in her father's direction, even though she had noticed him a few feet back. She bowed as she moved by him without breaking her stride, her heart clutching with pain and determination both. But today was not the time to try to speak with him, she knew that. She would wait for the Christmas feast.

At last, Susato located Barok van Zieks. He was in a dining hall with Albert Harebrayne. Hearths were roaring along a far wall, splashing faint heat into the drafty room. Barok's attention shifted as Susato approached. Seeing her, he stopped talking and stood up to bow. Albert turned in his chair and his face filled with excitement.

"Miss Susato? What brings you here?" Barok said, smiling, as he sat back down.

Susato gripped her arms around herself, shivering, and came to a stop beside Albert.

"You forgot this," she said, and hurriedly unlatched her satchel. She pulled the book out and placed it on the table beside Barok's plate.

His brow furrowed. He looked at her, expression gentle. "You came all this way in the cold simply to deliver this?"

Susato nodded.

"Wow! Miss Susato! You really are the perfect woman, aren't you? You would be a brilliant lab assistant!" Albert said.

"O-Oh, no. Not at all! But I am glad that you forgot. It is nice to see you. Both of you," Susato said.

"And I am excited to see Germany!" Albert said brightly. "But it will be sad never seeing you again, Miss Susato." He rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly.

Barok stared at Susato. She tried not to blush under his attention and instead focused on Albert, offering him a sweet smile.

"You must write to us, Mr. Harebrayne! I would love to hear all about Germany," she said.

Albert's eyes lit up. "Yes. Yes! I must tell you all about it then!"

She laughed softly. "Will you be joining us for Christmas dinner, Mr. Harebrayne?"

"Oh, ah, no! I have dinner with my family. But thank you!"

"Would you like anything to eat, Miss Susato?" Barok said.

"I had breakfast before leaving. Lady Baskerville kept making me take more scones, so I am quite full," Susato said.

Barok smiled.

"Have you had marmalade before, Mr. Harebrayne? It's so delicious!" Susato said.

"I have, before, yes," Albert said and laughed. "Do you really not have oranges in the East?"