Persistence

Susato walked slowly down the pathway home, her head lowered, the smell of blossoms pressing in gently around her. But her mind was troubled, brimming over with myriad thoughts, all of which darted off in various directions.

She could not stop thinking about the trial. In order to save Rei's life and prove her innocence, Susato had disguised herself as a man—Ryutaro Naruhodo, fictitious cousin of Ryunosuke—and had managed to secure an acquittal and uncover the truth. But there were details about the trial that continued to haunt her mind. What was this about Asa Shinn being Jezaille's real name? What had Menimemo discovered? What was he about to say before Jigoku interrupted him with a seoi flip? With Menimemo being imprisoned for the murder of Jezaille Brett, there was no way for Susato to find out now. Not only was that mystery frustratingly unsolvable, but Soseki-san had said something that unsettled her as well. He mentioned speaking with her father when he had returned from London, and that Yujin had grown pale and strange over something Susato, Sholmes, and Ryunosuke had found during their investigation of Soseki's apartment back in London. Something that had been nestled within the hoard of the criminal, Selden.

Susato vaguely recollected that moment. She had caught the faintest glimmer of something bright, a flare like light off a gem. And then Sholmes had torn it away from Ryunosuke's grip and Susato had been left with nothing but a sense of confusion and curiousity that had never been sated. Just what was it they had found? Was that the real reason why Yujin had called her back?

Susato's thoughts pounded in her temples as she slid open the shoji and removed her boots.

"Tadaima," she called out absently.

"Susato! Good, you're home! Can you make some tea? We have a guest," Yujin said, rushing to greet her.

"Oh! Yes, of course, Father," Susato said, a bit glad for the distraction. Unless... "This guest isn't a suitor...is it?"

"Not at all! Where were you today, anyway? You were gone a long time."

"I was visiting Kazuma-sama's grave. I also went to send a letter to Naruhodo-san. Unless it's been intercepted."

Yujin sighed. "I will never do anything like that again, I swear that to you. Now come say hello to Jigoku."

"Oh! Jigoku-san is here? Is it to do with the trial?" Susato said.

"I'm not entirely sure. He said he had news but he wanted you here first," Yujin said.

"I will make tea as quickly as possible!" Susato said and hurried off to do just that.

When she finished in the kitchen, Susato found Yujin and Jigoku sitting together, talking, the shoji partially open to let in the fresh breeze. Jigoku laughed loudly then smiled at Susato as she entered, and nodded to her gratefully as she served the tea.

"Hello, Jigoku-san!" Susato said.

"Hello, Mr. Ryutaro," Jigoku said and burst out laughing.

Susato's face burned. "May I sit with you?"

"Of course!" Jigoku said.

Once Susato was seated and after Jigoku had consumed some of his tea, he fixed both Yujin and Susato with a bright smile. "Well! I have some news! It seems Yujin and I have received a certain invitation."

"Oh, really?" Susato said. She looked at Yujin, but he appeared confused.

"Yes! Lord Stronghart sent it to us personally. It seems there's to be a Forensic Science Symposium sometime after the start of the Great Exhibition," Jigoku said.