Strange Pity

Sholmes burst through the doorway. Susato stopped sweeping and hurried over to him and bowed, relieved that someone else was finally home.

"Would you like some tea, Mr. Sholmes?" Susato offered.

Sholmes threw himself into his armchair, attempting to light his pipe. He failed to strike the match several times before it finally caught.

Susato frowned, tilting her head as she examined his rumpled clothing, sunken eyes, and messy hair. He looked dreadful. "Perhaps you should get some more sleep, Mr. Sholmes."

He looked at her, his eyelids seated heavily over his eyes, just as her stomach growled. "And perhaps you should eat more, madam."

Embarrassment burned in her cheeks.

"I should stock the pantry. Where do you go for groceries, Mr. Sholmes?"

Sholmes let out a laugh. "Why, madam, you are quite full of jests."

Susato stared at him.

"I eat when the fancy strikes me, whatever is readily available to such a brilliant detective with such highly-sought expertise," he explained, flashing a smile.

"And I suppose my father mainly eats out as well?"

"Quite so, madam. I suppose some tea would be most welcome, however."

Susato set down the broom and moved towards the kitchen. When she returned, Sholmes had vanished. With a sigh, Susato sat down on the couch and poured herself a cup of tea. She watched the steam curl off the surface.

A knock on the door. Susato glanced around then stood and moved to answer it. Surprise stole over her. A Japanese man was at the door, one she recognized. His dark beard and solid build were unmistakable, even after six years.

"Jigoku-san!" Susato said, a smile breaking out upon her face.

Seishiro Jigoku stared at her for a moment, and then comprehension struck a match in his eyes. "Miss Susato Mikotoba?"

"Yes!"

"I have not seen you since you were ten. You have grown so much!"

Susato laughed lightly, relieved by his warm presence. "It is so good to see you, Jigoku-san!"

"Likewise, Miss Susato. Genshin did mention that you intended to visit, but it must have slipped my mind! I've been so busy working with Lord Stronghart." He smiled at her. "Is your father around, by any chance?"

Susato's smile faltered. "Oh dear. No, I'm sorry. He has not been home for a couple of nights now."

"Have you been here alone, Miss Susato?" Jigoku said, sobering instantly.

Susato glanced away. "Not entirely. Mr. Sholmes has appeared from time to time."

"Has anyone shown you around the neighbourhood?"

Susato hesitated. "I fear everyone has been very busy."

Jigoku stroked his beard, a furrow scrunching the skin between his brows. "Well, Miss Susato, how would you like to accompany me for a stroll? There are some nice shops not too far from here. You still read a lot, don't you?"

Susato smiled.

***

Shortly after parting company with Jigoku, Genshin arrived at Baker Street. Susato could scarcely restrain herself—she hugged him tightly. Genshin patted her hair then pulled back, looking into her face seriously.