Ventured Descent

Only four days after Barok began working at the Prosecutor's office, another noble was murdered most brutally.

Susato was sitting with Lady Baskerville when the news stormed into the drawing room. She had been trying out scales again on the harpsichord at Lady Baskerville's urging when Klint swept in, Barok trailing quietly after him.

"Another noble is dead. Throat torn out. By a hunting hound," Klint ground out. "Somehow it is already in the papers." He threw down a newspaper as if to punctuate his sentence.

Susato froze. She stared at the paper, the big bold letters jumping out at her even from the bench.

"They are calling the killer the Professor," Barok said quietly.

Klint stalked towards the sideboard and poured himself a glass of wine without stopping to brush affection upon Lady Baskerville's hand or forehead like he normally did.

"Oh, this is so awful," Lady Baskerville said, placing her hand over her stomach protectively. "Was it someone we knew, dear?"

"Yes," Klint said. "Although it is hardly a loss."

"Klint," Lady Baskerville snapped. "You should not speak that way!"

"Are you in any danger?" Susato said.

Barok, looking disconsolate and deep in thought, shook his head.

"Of course not, Miss Mikotoba. Perhaps it would ease your nerves to learn that both victims have been notoriously corrupt members of the aristocracy. Although, I am sure this news has most of our fellow nobles in quite the fit of despair," Klint said with extreme bitterness, and downed the rest of his glass.

"If I was not being cautious to rest as much as possible to ensure our child's safety, I would slap you, love," Lady Baskerville said. "You should not speak that way. And let the wine breathe before you consume it so swiftly. You must calm down."

"I am fine," Klint snarled.

"It must be so horrible, being lead investigator for this case. I am sure the bodies are wretched to look at," Susato said glumly.

"I suspect I will be exceedingly busy," Klint said, and rubbed his forehead, a sudden spasm of distress flashing across his features. "Pray, just how many more murders will there be?"

"You suspect there will be others?" Barok said.

"Corruption runs deep within the aristocracy. I am sure there are many nobles he wishes to remove from our streets," Klint muttered. He sighed and put his wine glass down harshly. "I am going hunting."

"Dear, please, do not go like this. This is disturbing news for us all. Susato looks so worried, too. Please, stay with me a moment. Why don't you play something for us?" Lady Baskerville said, catching Klint by the wrist as he began to walk past her chair.

Klint was completely still, chin lowered. And then he let out a long breath. "I fear I am in no mood for such trifles," he said, and gently uncurled her fingers from his wrist before exiting the room.

Lady Baskerville leaned her hand against her forehead. "Susato, dear, would you mind opening the window? I could quite use some air."

"How about we sit together in the garden for a while? I will fetch your parasol for you," Susato said.

"A nice suggestion. Thank you. This is why you are a most marvellous friend, and would be such a darling sister," Lady Baskerville said.

"Please do not tease me in such a way," Susato said quietly. She peered towards Barok, who was staring out the window, clearly lost in thought.