Lingering

The heat increased as the days advanced and a warm summer prepared to descend. Many of the manor's windows were open, letting in sweet, fresh air. Susato was finding spring in Britain striking, even if it lacked the grandeur and fleeting beauty of Japan's hanami season.

On this particular bright day, Susato was in the manor's library. It was a large room, outfitted with ceiling-to-floor shelves of books upon books. There were some display cases scattered about as well, which contained ancient rifles and swords, expensive first editions, and other gorgeous antiques. The room felt like a tiny museum.

Susato had been in their library for quite some time, allowing herself to be distracted from her task. Lady Baskerville had requested a certain book, and Susato had certainly not found it. Her fingers hovered over the spines of various books, some with exceptionally beautiful bindings. On occasion, she pulled one out and flipped it open, reading a few pages before remembering her mission and placing it carefully back where it belonged. There appeared to be categorical and alphabetical schemes to how the books were arranged, and it was becoming clear to her that the book she was seeking was somewhere above her head. Somewhere unreachable. Which she decided was a good excuse for lingering.

"I thought I might find you here."

Barok. His voice was unexpected but wonderful to hear. Susato pivoted away from the shelf, a book in hand. She snapped it shut, fixing him with a bright smile.

"Okaerinasai, Lord van Zieks."

He looked at her with open confusion.

Susato laughed quietly. "It means 'welcome home.'"

"And how does one respond? In Japanese."

"Tadaima," Susato said.

"Tadaima," Barok repeated, his voice incredibly soft and intimate.

"Y-Yes. Just like that. Although, usually the person returning home says that first. Not...that it...matters," she said, flustered.

Susato turned back to the shelf and pushed the book into its proper spot.

"Are you seeking something specific, Miss Susato?"

"Yes, actually. Lady Baskerville had a request, but I can't seem to find it. I do believe it is...somewhere up there," Susato said, nodding to one of the shelves above her head.

"Then you have found yourself in a truly hopeless situation. If only there was some way to access the higher shelves."

"Lord van Zieks, I see I am to be a victim of your sense of humour. Am I correct to assume that Lord Klint van Zieks is not yet home?"

"He is not," Barok said. "Which book do you require?"

"Oh, um...Haywood. Love in Excess. Lady Baskerville requested it."

"Haywood," Barok echoed and glanced at the shelves above Susato's head. He wandered closer to her. Very close. Then reached up and pulled down the book in question. With a light smile, he handed it to her, the distance between them very small indeed.

Susato blushed and accepted the novel with a quiet thanks.

"Miss Susato?"

"Y-Yes?"

"If you have the grave misfortune of encountering this issue again, you should use the ladder," Barok said. "Not that I am loathe to assist you, but should you find yourself without anyone of considerable height to aid you, there are means by which you may retrieve such items yourself."