Truth and Misconception

"Just look at them," Lady Baskerville sighed, staring through the window while she and Susato had afternoon tea.

Klint and Barok were outside, standing by a tree. Although standing wasn't really the right word. The brothers were winding back, lifting one leg, and planting their foot against the tree, competing to see who could lift their leg the highest. Susato blinked rapidly.

"Um, Lady Baskerville? What are they doing, exactly?"

"Oh, it's a van Zieks family thing. They have done this their whole lives."

"Oh dear. Why?"

"I have no idea," Lady Baskerville said with a dreamy sigh, resting her chin in her palm as she gazed at Klint. "But I do love it. Look at how strong and masculine and shapely their legs look."

Susato watched as Barok imitated the motion. "Yes, it...Oh—Oh dear! Lady Baskerville! Th-that's—!"

"Admiring Barok, were you?"

Susato looked away quickly, face bright red. "No! I would not look at his—...I would not look at him—...That is completely improper!"

"Not when you are married," Lady Baskerville said, sing-song. She grinned at Susato.

"But I am unwed."

"For now, yes, that is true," Lady Baskerville said and held her hand over her lips.

Susato grabbed one of the pastries off the tiered tray. "The whipped topping has a very beautiful pattern," she said, face still hot.

"Oh! Look at them now, Miss Susato!"

"Lady Baskerville, you know I cannot!"

"No, no! You can. They're duelling!"

Susato instantly looked out the window. It was true; the brothers were practising fencing together. Susato's eyes widened. She found herself unable to look away from Barok as he moved with strength, precision, and well-honed technique.

"It's...so manly! And dashing!" Susato said, gesturing enthusiastically.

"Oh yes, indeed!" Lady Baskerville said. "What fine entertainment for our afternoon tea, would you not agree, Susato?"

"A letter arrived, my Lady," one of the servants said. Her sudden appearance startled Susato. The maid glanced at Susato warily, with a strangely sympathetic-looking cast to her features.

"Oh, thank you. Miss Susato! If this is an invitation to a ball, you simply must come with us," Lady Baskerville said.

Susato blanched. "Oh, no. I could not. Surely."

"My lady, a word, if I may? Even if it is out of bounds for me to do so?" the maid said.

Lady Baskerville nodded.

They moved to a corner of the room. Susato did her best not to listen, but their conversation drifted towards her with no other sounds in the room to stifle their voices.

"You should not encourage her, my lady. The eastern woman, I mean. I do believe she quite fancies the young lord Barok."

"Is that so?"

"Yes, my lady. I have seen her oft leaving a chamber with him late at night. There is only a faint light beneath the door, and they are quite hushed in their tones. I fear for my lord's reputation, and our guest's honour."