Promises

A few days later, Gina Lestrade was Iris' special guest for tea time. A black mourning band encircled Gina's arm, drawn over the green of her jacket sleeve. Susato could see the changes Gregson's loss had carved into the young woman. Gina held a subdued air, even though her smile was gentle, and her eyes were burdened despite the way they lit up as she talked and drank her tea and ate the special desserts Iris and Susato had baked together.

"I still stumble over me letters a bit. Kaz 'as been a big 'elp wiv that," Gina said.

"...You've been speaking with Kazuma-sama?" Susato said.

"Yeah. 'E seemed pretty 'arsh durin' the trial an' all but...actually, 'e's been really kind wiv me. We're gonna be workin' together a lot, innit? Since I'm an Inspector in trainin' an' all."

"I'm so pleased things are going well, Ginny!" Iris said, beaming happily.

Susato frowned. She was a bit surprised that Kazuma was acting so kindly towards Gina, considering her loyal love for Gregson, despite that she knew the truth about his role in the Reaper organisation. And considering that Gregson had attacked Barok and Genshin—and not only stole the ring, but positioned the fake evidence that helped Stronghart ensure Genshin was falsely incriminated as the Professor—it was a surprise to Susato that Kazuma was so kind towards Gina.

As for herself, Susato had been struggling on and off with terrible waves of bitterness towards Gregson. Even though Gregson really thought he was doing what was right—unlike Stronghart, who was motivated purely by personal gain and his delusions of self-righteousness—it still hurt terribly. So terribly. Gregson had incriminated Genshin. He had scarred Barok. And he had lied and hidden the truth from her all those years ago. And had upheld those lies until the day he perished.

It was a lot to negotiate with. Not that Susato blamed Gina for anything. And, in truth, she was glad Kazuma wasn't bitter towards the poor woman either. After all, Gina was completely innocent. Who could blame her for loving a man that had taken her in like a father and raised her? How could she not forgive someone who had done something so wonderful?

Tears shivered in Susato's eyes as she contemplated these things.

"Um...'ey...Sooz?"

"Oh...Oh, yes?" Susato said, wiping quickly at her cheek to hide her tears.

"I never said sorry to you, did I? For...well...you know, right? For...'ow I spoke to you before the trial...You were right. An' if you and 'Oddo 'adn't believed in 'im...no one would ever know the truth, right?" Gina said.

"Right," Susato said quietly.

"I still can't Adam an' Eve all that the Boss did..." Gina said.

"...I miss Gregsy. Even though he did bad things," Iris said.

"Yeah...I miss 'im too," Gina said, her voice breaking over the words.

"His actions were horribly wrong, but his heart was in the right place. I suppose...he was dragged down into the darkness too," Susato said.

"Can you ever forgive 'im? You an' Kaz an' van Zieks...I wonder if you can ever forgive 'im," Gina said, lowering her chin, her hands wrapped tight around her cup of tea.

Susato smiled sadly. "Of course, Gina. Gregson...was my friend. He lied and he betrayed the law. He betrayed Genshin-sama and Lord van Zieks...But he was deceived. And...he was very good to us. Wasn't he, Iris?"