The Terror He Inspired

Each of Susato's steps filled with ghosts, memory clinging to the surface of things, their shadows long and deeply reaching. The sights of London fashion and architecture and transportation. The smog, the smells, the sounds of English in various intriguing accents. It all wrapped around Susato, transporting her back in time. She felt wide-eyed with wonder again, as she had when she first came to London.

As Ryunosuke and Susato climbed into a carriage, she could almost see Genshin and Klint sitting across from her, could almost feel their stares upon her, see their smiles. Susato breathed in deeply then exhaled. It was such a strange consolation, to feel the rattling of the wheels and the clacking of the hooves again. She had missed being in a carriage, wind pressing into her face, as they made their way to the Supreme Court in Whitehall.

For just a moment, Susato could forget all about her concerns, about the news they would have to proffer upon their arrival. She opened her eyes and saw Ryunosuke staring in awe at the world around them, wide-eyed and slack-jawed. Susato smiled. That was probably how she had looked to Genshin and Klint ten years ago.

Soon, they arrived at the Supreme Court building. Memory brought a sharp pain, made Susato's chest sink inwards and press too close to her heart. She saw the place where they had stood—Klint, Barok, Gregson, and Genshin behind the camera—taking that picture, their laughter a faint trace in the wind that rustled her hair against her ears. As they walked through the doorway, the photo in her mind dissolved, sinking away, taking with it the recollection of the smile she most wanted to see and a man no one could ever see again.

Susato had been in the building before, and the recollection of that day pained her throat, flooded her mouth with the taste of bile. This was where Stronghart told her Barok had prosecuted the Professor. This was where she had walked alongside Jigoku. This was where she was told Genshin would recover and go home at her side.

Beyond that point, the sharpness began to recede, for they were walking through passages of the building she had never seen. And then they were in the Lord Chief Justice's office. Giant cogs moved together in unison, releasing a steady ticking. Susato tried to match her pulse to that rhythm, standing in the light that streamed in through the window. Bird wings fluttered somewhere above.

And then he appeared before them. Lord Stronghart. Susato's lips twitched towards a smile as she and Ryunosuke bowed. She watched him as he spoke, addressing Ryunosuke, and Ryunosuke floundered, exceptionally nervous. Which was entirely reasonable, considering the circumstances.

"My Lord Stronghart," Susato interjected.

And when he turned towards her, recognition filled his eyes, brightening their depths.

"Ah. Miss Susato Mikotoba. Such a pleasure to invite you back to our fair nation."

"It has been a dreadfully long time, Lord Stronghart," Susato said and bowed. "It is a true joy to see you are faring so well as Chief Justice."

"And it is a pleasure to see you have held to your ambitions. Although, I fear the circumstances surrounding your arrival are most disheartening. My deepest condolences for the loss you experienced during your travels," Stronghart said. "It is such a shame that you will have to return."

Sharp pain. Susato could feel Ryunosuke staring at her. She needed to be strong; she needed to give Ryunosuke the push he needed to grasp his courage. She drew in a breath and steeled herself. "Mr. Naruhodo would like to make a proposal."

"Yes! Um, my lord!" Ryunosuke said. "I was wondering if, perhaps, you would consider allowing the study tour to go ahead?"

"I was aware of only one lawyer," Stronghart said.