Judgements

Lord Stronghart was not in his office when Susato arrived.

She stood completely still, hands folded, and eyed the many bookcases filling the office. It took all of her strength to resist the urge to go exploring through the shelves.

And then, at last, Stronghart entered.

"Miss Mikotoba. Your timekeeping is impeccable," he said.

Susato offered him a smile and a bow. "You wished to speak with me, Lord Stronghart?"

"Indeed. You have had an extremely full schedule, haven't you?" he said.

"It has been an exceptional first week," Susato said.

"And you have handled it exceptionally well, I would say. Congratulations on your victories in court. Three trials and three victories is no small feat. Not even Lord van Zieks can claim such a record. Do you know he lost his second case?" Stronghart said. "Of course, his first was the Professor trial, and that was an astounding success."

"...My lord, I cannot claim victory. It is Mr. Naruhodo who has won these trials," Susato said.

"Of course. Mr. Naruhodo has performed most admirably. But you have lent him much aid, and you are to be credited for his efficient education," Stronghart said.

"I am merely his judicial assistant."

"You have played an instrumental role in his performances, as I hear it. Unless the reports are exaggerated," Stronghart said, a smile curving one edge of his lips. "It is little surprise that a woman as intelligent and persistent as yourself has done so well. And has debated with Lord van Zieks so unflinchingly."

"You praise me highly, my lord."

"Now, there is something I must ask you," Stronghart said, slapping his cane against his palm.

"Yes, Lord Stronghart?"

"It is in regards to Mr. Asogi."

Susato's throat tightened. "O-Oh...Kazuma-sama. Yes."

"What occurred on the Burya is a true tragedy. Regardless, I must ask. After all, it has been on my mind ever since Mr. Naruhodo made his introductions. He mentioned his willingness to carry on Mr. Asogi's mission. Do you have any idea what he meant?"

"Oh. Oh, yes. Of course. Kazuma-sama said he wished to help reform our nation's judicial system. It was his hope that what he learned in Britain would help him do just that," Susato said.

"An admirable goal. Ours is the greatest judicial system in the world," Stronghart said. "Was there anything else he intended to do?"

Susato tilted her head, perplexed by the question. "I cannot think of anything else. Apart from seeing the sights, of course."

"Yes, of course. I am sure you regaled him with many fascinating stories about our fair city," Stronghart said.

"I did! He was so looking forward to meeting everyone," Susato said, and felt sorrow encase her heart.

"I am certain he was," Stronghart said and smiled.

"...Was there anything else, Lord Stronghart?"

"I am afraid that will be all. I have a meeting in..." Stronghart pulled out his pocket watch and snapped his fingers. "Four minutes and 12 seconds."

"I will not keep you. But...may I ask you something as well, Lord Stronghart?"

He looked at her expectantly.

"It is...It is regarding Lord van Zieks. I would like to speak with him, if that's alright?"

"I hardly think that is for me to decide," Stronghart said.