The Heart of Things

After the banquet but before Christmas, Barok launched himself more thoroughly into his studies. He was at campus often, and spent all night in the office at the manor. Susato drifted in and out of his acquaintance in those days, bringing him tea which he accepted with a nod and warm smile. And Susato knew she had to start trying to speak with her father again, an idea that made her increasingly nervous. But she simply had to do it. She could not spend all her days with her friends, and she finally felt as though she had recovered enough from the shock of their last encounter.

And so, Susato climbed into the carriage with Genshin, and travelled to the restaurant that Genshin, Jigoku, and Yujin had all agreed to meet at that day. Yujin didn't seem to like anything unexpected, at least in regards to her, but she knew it was their best shot at getting him to interact with her. Genshin knew that too, and Jigoku had agreed to keep her planned appearance a secret.

"I am with you, Susato," Genshin said, and his calm sureness stilled her shaking hands. "Let us win a moment you can write to Kazuma about."

"Yes," Susato said and smiled with hope.

Jigoku and Yujin were already seated inside, engaged in a conversation. Jigoku laughed. And as Susato and Genshin drew near, Susato heard Yujin laugh too. She had never heard her father laugh; in fact, she had never heard or seen anything but harshness in his voice and countenance. She held back a step, a smile brushing across her lips.

"Ah, there you Genshin!" Jigoku said brightly.

"At last!" Yujin said with equal brightness. He turned towards them. His smile crippled the moment he saw Susato. "You brought her with you?"

"Yes, Yujin, I did," Genshin said calmly. He put his hand on Susato's shoulder and steered her forward. She stood at the edge of the table and bowed deeply.

"I for one am glad to see the young Miss Mikotoba," Jigoku said.

"Have a seat, Susato," Genshin said.

Susato sat down beside Jigoku and across from Genshin. Yujin, across from Jigoku, kept his head down and turned away from her. Susato stared at him, brow furrowed, frowning deeply.

"Susato has had quite the adventure here in London," Genshin said.

"We would love to hear about it, Miss Mikotoba!" Jigoku said.

"Oh...Yes, I have. I have been staying at the manor of Lord van Zieks," Susato said. "And, while there, I have studied a bit with Lord Barok van Zieks. I want to learn as much as I can about British law in order to talk with Kazuma-sama about it. When I return home."

"Why are you bothering with the law? What good will that do you back in Japan?" Yujin said gruffly.

"Well, I do not intend to go back just yet. But when I do, I want to assist Kazuma-sama in his studies. Maybe I can be his judicial assistant," Susato said.

"You can never enter a courtroom," Yujin said.

"Yes, that is quite true, Father," Susato said, a biting edge sinking into her tone. "But I can still be of use, even if I have to remain in the defendant's chamber."

"A waste of time. Learn some skills to find a husband and be of some use to your grandmother," Yujin said tersely. "You've burdened her enough. Do something for her."

"I do have those skills," Susato said quietly, the fight starting to drain from her.

"What? Making tea?" Yujin said.