Those Who Return

The carriage hurtled towards the Old Bailey.

"The defendant is this whacky scientist, Bunnybrain. His invention would never really work," Iris said.

Susato blinked. "Bunnybrain? Wait...Iris! Is he blonde? With big hair? And did he come from Germany?"

"Yes, that's him! I heard he's friends with the Reaper...Oh! You know him, Susie?"

"I can't believe Mr. Harebrayne was accused of murder! And...And Lord van Zieks is really prosecuting him?"

"I guess he's horrible to all of his friends, not just you," Iris said.

Susato pressed her fingers to her cheek, her brow crinkling. It was incredibly hard to imagine that Albert Harebrayne could hurt anyone—let alone kill them, whether accidentally or not. Did Barok not have faith in his old university friend? Why would he agree to act as the prosecution? It seemed so cold and far too cruel. Especially considering the so-called Reaper curse.

"I suppose people can change a lot in ten years," Iris said with sympathy.

Susato peered out the window at the world rushing by. "I'm sure...that he is just doing his job."

"Hmmm, well...I suppose he wasn't very mean when we went to his office. Actually, he didn't even yell at us once!" Iris said.

Susato stared at Iris in surprise. "You went to his office?"

"Oh yes! Do you know he has this big portrait of himself? Of course, the features are exaggerated. He looks much more handsome in the painting than in person," Iris said.

Susato frowned. "Iris. That is not a portrait of Lord Barok van Zieks. It's of his brother."

"Oh. So that's what he meant. Hmm...I wonder if it's an accurate likeness," Iris mused.

"It is. Very accurate," Susato said. "...Why did you go to his office?"

"Oh, well, Runo wanted to visit. We heard from that unicorn man in the clock that the Reaper had been attacked," Iris said.

"He was attacked!? But he's alright? I mean...he must be, I suppose, if he's acting prosecutor for the trial..."

"Oh yes, he was perfectly unharmed! He got attacked by gunmen, but he and his apprentice managed to fight them all back with just their sabres!" Iris said.

"Apprentice?" Susato echoed.

"He was strange. He just sat on the floor and wouldn't talk to us," Iris said with a shrug. Then she touched her finger to her chin and appeared lost in thought for a moment. "It's kind of surprising that someone so mean didn't seriously hurt his attackers."

Susato perked up at this, some of her anxiety relenting. "Lord van Zieks drove his assailants away without causing them harm, didn't he?"

"That's right!"

"He may seem different on the outside...but I have to wonder how much he really has changed. I think he's still the same good man as always."

"'The 'same good man as always' would prosecute his friend?" Iris said.

"Well...that aside, I suppose," Susato said, wariness stealing back over her. "I'm sure he has his reasons..."

"He did ask how Mr. Natsume is doing," Iris said.

"He—He did?" Susato said, blinking in surprise. Then a smile brushed across her lips. "So...despite his hatred for us Japanese...he was that concerned about Mr. Natsume? Oh, I'm so glad to hear it."