An Entire Separation

The last time Susato Mikotoba had been on a boat, she had pulled in through the fog. And Genshin and Klint had met her on the docks. Now she was on the other side of that curtain of mist, and Genshin and Klint were gone. Klint would never go home to his wife, his new baby, his brother. And Genshin would never go home to his wife, his son, or his adoptive daughter. She would never feel him stroke her hair again when she cried, or see his calming smile, or feel his strong hand on her shoulder.

They were gone. Lady Baskerville was gone.

And now she was drifting away on a sea far less turbulent than the one inside of her.

Susato lay on her bed in the small room. She clutched Karuma as she lay there, staring sightlessly at the wall, her face swollen and salt-caked from her tears.

Yujin came into the room and sat on the floor beside her tiny bed. He placed his hand on her head and said something, but she could not hear it. She could not even hear the sounds of the engine.

"He was my real father." Susato knew she said it. Felt her lips move. But did not hear her own voice.

Yujin's countenance collapsed. But Susato was too numb with loss to feel regret.

And then she was alone again.

***

Yujin returned to her side, urging her to eat. Susato did not stir. It was too much. Too many people had been taken from her. And she knew what awaited upon their return. She would have to tell them. Kazuma. Mrs. Asogi. Obaachan.

She could not understand. Jigoku had been so sure. He had sounded so sure. He had said Genshin was going to recover. Instead, he had perished, languishing away to nothingness beneath some foreign illness.

It just made no sense. How could someone as strong as Genshin have died in such a way? It wasn't right. It couldn't be real.

She curled up tighter on her side and refused to let Karuma go.

***

When Susato returned to consciousness, Yujin was there again. His hand was on her head, and he was speaking. He must have been. Susato could see his lips moving. And then, gradually, sound returned to her senses. The engine. His voice.

"...how much of a fool I have been. I'm a coward, Susato."

Yujin pressed a glance at her. Seeing the lucidity and focus of her gaze, he startled.

"Susato!? Did you hear what I said?"

"You said...you are a coward," she said slowly, as if testing out her voice to see if it would fit her over words.

"I have been a terrible father. I understand if you never forgive me. I was a coward and tried I run away from you. Because I could not handle losing Ayame. Because I wanted to escape the pain and my failure to save her. And...I lost something just as important because of that."

He stroked her hair softly. Susato imagined it was Genshin's hand.

"Seeing Iris...Being unable to save her mother, I...I..."

And then Yujin was crying. Susato sat up, stunned and ashamed by her thoughts, by wishing Genshin had survived in Yujin's place.

She hugged her father loosely and he pulled her close. Held on tight.

"I am so sorry, Susato. I will learn how to be your father. I promise."

She closed her eyes and tried her hardest not to wish that Genshin with her instead.

***

The journey home was long and miserable. Susato fell ill with a fever, which made the motion of the boat and the chugging of the engine extremely uncomfortable. Yujin was constantly at her side, taking care of her, speaking with her even when she said nothing back, nursing her to health with evident fear written into his every word and movement.

And slowly, as the haze of fever parted, Susato realised her father truly did care for her. Whether it was out of guilt or worry or sorrow, he was trying his best for her, he was distressed over her condition.

So, she would try to forgive him. Forgive him for leaving her. Forgive him for first loving Iris before he ever loved her. And forgive him for not being Genshin. She would give him a chance to be her father. And she would learn how to be his daughter.

***

Finally, they were back on solid ground. In Japan. With the smells that Susato knew so well. The sounds. The sights. The language. It felt nearly bizarre to walk through the crowds without seeing carriages, without hearing English.

They made their way from the harbour to the train. Susato was fully recovered from her illness, but she still felt weak and tired. So she leaned heavily against Yujin's arm as they boarded.

As the train trundled down the tracks, shaking harshly every now and then, Susato found herself recalling another time on a train. A better time. She remembered falling asleep at Barok's side, her head on his arm, his voice solemn but gentle. A deep chasm of longing pitched within her. And then anxiety trembled up from its depths, spilling through her entire body.

Susato tensed and sat up straight, watching the world out the window, watching as they pulled into the station. As the train slowed and rolled back into place with a final rattling lurch, Susato's hands tensed. She squeezed Yujin's fingers, her other hand grasping Karuma fretfully.

Through the window, Susato swore she caught sight of their faces. Obaachan. Mrs. Asogi. Kazuma.

"I can't do this," she whispered.

Yujin stared at her, eyes heavy and compassionate. Jigoku stared at her too, then looked away, a shadow hovering over his face.

Then Yujin squeezed her hand, and she knew it was time.

Jigoku went to collect their luggage while Susato and her father exited the train together.

As they stood there, at the edge of the crowd, waiting for Jigoku to bring the rest of their things, Susato's head shot up. A voice was moving towards her.

"Susato-chan! Susato-chan!"

Kazuma. She turned her head. There he was, smiling brightly, red hachimaki streaming as he raced towards them. Behind him, she caught a glimpse of her beloved obaachan on the arm of Mrs. Asogi. But Kazuma was surging ahead in his excitement.

Kazuma stopped in front of her, face aglow. And it felt like coming home and falling through glass all at once.

"Susato-chan! Okaeri!" Kazuma said brightly.

"Ta—Tadaima," Susato exhaled.

Kazuma peered around expectantly then looked askance at Yujin. Shock leapt into his face. "Yujin Mikotoba!?" he said.

Yujin nodded.

"So you finally came home, did you?" Kazuma said. "If you didn't, I would have had to travel to London and drag you back myself!" He started looking around again, excited to see Genshin after before apart for so many years. Too excited to comprehend their miserable expressions. "Where's Father?"

"Kazuma," Susato whispered.

He looked at her, smiling. And then his smile fell away in small degrees as confusion alighted on his brow.

Susato extended her hands.

Kazuma looked down. Saw Karuma balanced across her palms. Touched the scabbard lightly. Looked up at Susato's face. He stared at her searchingly, pleadingly. His expression crumpled, an unbearable look of devastation overtaking his features. Then he yanked Karuma into his arms. Held his father's soul close to his chest.

And Susato held onto Kazuma tightly as his knees gave out.