Faces Familiar and Strange

London was a carousel of colours and fantastic sights. Susato watched with rapt awe as the carriage trundled down the streets. Everything was so different than in Japan. The architecture, the clothing, the different styles of horse-drawn carriages. Susato could not look away.

"What's that?" she asked, indicating a large vehicle that looked like a carriage but had people riding on the top.

Klint let out a small chuckle. "That would be an omnibus, Miss Mikotoba. I do recommend you ride atop one at some point, if you wish to better see the city."

"This is all so wonderful!" Susato enthused.

Genshin smiled at her.

"And where are we taking you, Miss Mikotoba?" Klint said.

Susato's smile withered. She looked to Genshin.

"Your father should be at the university," Genshin said.

"Then I should like to go there, if that is alright?" she said.

"Of course. You know, my brother will be on campus at present," Klint said. "Genshin and I will have to travel to the Yard for business after we see you to the university. Perhaps my brother can guide you to your father."

"You will not be able to introduce us, Genshin-sama?" Susato said, knotting her fingers together tightly.

"I am afraid not," Genshin said and gave her a soft smile. "But I am certain Mr. Mikotoba will be delighted to meet you, at long last."

"To be sure," Klint said. "Any father would be most pleased to have such a well-mannered daughter."

Susato did her best to smile for him, but it felt brittle.

"You must join us for dinner tonight, Miss Mikotoba. Of course, you are welcome to invite your father as well. We will send your suitcases to our manor for the time being," Klint said and glanced over at Genshin, who nodded in approval. "I do believe my wife would be most excited to meet a fascinating woman from the East."

"I will try my utmost to be of sufficient interest," Susato said seriously, her anxiety increasing. Her throat was beginning to feel painfully tight.

Klint laughed. Susato glanced at Genshin, unsure of what to think. Genshin smiled encouragingly.

"No need to fear, Miss Mikotoba," Klint assured. "I am positive my wife will find you most delightful."

"You are far too kind, my lord," Susato said and looked down, a frown rising to her lips. "I merely hope my father will find me so agreeable."

"How could he not?" Klint said.

Susato peered back up at him. His expression was more serious now, but his gaze was still light and kind. Genshin's countenance was a bit more subdued, but he gave her an encouraging nod, an affectionate light in his eyes. Susato drew strength for their kindness.

***

The university grounds were impressive and remarkably large. As Genshin helped her out of the carriage, Susato stared in awe at the architecture, images of palaces leaping readily to mind. The colours of the stone buildings, the trees, the greenery were all so stark against the grey patchwork of the sky. It was like stepping into a novel.

"Just one moment, if you would. I must go find that brother of mine," Klint said. He bowed to Susato and Genshin before hurrying across the lawn and towards the university proper.