Warmth

It was nearly time for the Christmas dinner. Susato decorated alongside Klint and Barok. Genshin stopped by with Gregson, and was quickly put to work. Susato smiled, seeing Genshin was quite apt at decorating. Meanwhile, Gregson sat with Lady Baskerville and had tea while they watched everyone else prepare.

Susato stepped back, allowing Barok to take over for her and hang up a string of decorations on the wall. She was too short, even when standing on a chair. He pinned the decoration in place with great ease and gave her a smile.

"I have to admit, sometimes I still find it shocking how tall you are, Lord van Zieks," Susato said, smiling.

"It would be impolite to comment on the gentlewoman's height," Lady Baskerville warned. "Although, I think she looks adorable!"

"I am taller than my little brother," Klint said.

"You are not," Lady Baskerville said, slapping his shoulder lightly.

"Hate to admit it, Lord van Zieks, but Lord Barok's got a little on you, I think," Gregson said.

"The brother surpasses the elder brother," Genshin said with great solemnity.

Klint stared flatly at the wall.

"You cannot be best at everything, love. Even if you are best at most things," Lady Baskerville said. She stretched up on her tip-toes, resting her hand on Klint's shoulder, and pressed a kiss to his cheek.

"What happened to reserving our embraces for when no guests are present?" Klint said, struggling to hide his smile.

"That was not out of affection. It was merely an act of pity," Lady Baskerville said, scrunching her nose at him and giving him a cheeky smirk before returning to the sofa.

"My wife wounds me intolerably," Klint said and fainted onto the settee.

"Oh, no. He's dead," Lady Baskerville said without any emotion.

"Shinda," Genshin said, also without emotion.

"Yep. Stone dead in his own home. And right on the eve of a great feast. What a shame. You lookin' for a new lord of the house yet, Lady Baskerville?" Gregson said.

Susato laughed. She glanced over at Barok as he began to hang something onto the hearth's mantle. It appeared to be hosiery, although it was beautiful. She surmised that Lady Baskerville had embroidered little patterns onto each, seeing the lovely needlework chasing through the fabric.

"What are those, Lord van Zieks?" Susato said, tilting her head.

"These are Christmas stockings," Barok said. "You would quite appreciate the origin of their use. St. Nicholas visited the home of a father with three daughters who had no prospects. He secretly gave gold to each, and the gold miraculously fell into their stockings whilst drying over the fire. That money made it possible for the daughters to enter pleasing marriages."

"Oh, that's wonderful!" Susato said.

"Yes. It is custom to fill them with fruits and sweets, and toys for children. Naturally, since we are all in adulthood now, we hang them simply as decorations and in honour of such righteous almsgiving. However—"

"Hush, Barok! You will ruin the surprise," Lady Baskerville said.

Barok sighed. "I do believe your desperate exclamation may have revealed the very secret you were desperate to keep."