Kindness

Casting aside her doubts and sadness, Susato focused on her resolve. She had told Barok van Zieks that she would not give up on trying to forge a connection with her father, and that meant she had to keep trying.

Yujin was gone by the time she woke up, but a quick inquiry revealed he was at the university that day. Or rather, he probably was, as Sholmes had said, before laughing in that enigmatic way of his.

Susato exited Baker Street—carrying a small lunch she had put together with the foods she had found when Jigoku showed her around the neighbourhood—and hailed a carriage to the university grounds.

"Oh! Miss Mikotoba! Miss Mikotoba!"

Susato was on her way to the common room when the gleeful shout struck her ears. Albert Harebrayne waved as he raced towards her. She smiled and bowed to him as he came to a stop, a bit out of breath.

"It's so, so, so nice to see you!" he said.

"It is nice to see you as well, Mr. Harebrayne!" Susato said.

"Here to see your father again?"

"Yes, I am," Susato said.

"Mind if I walk with you?"

"Not at all!"

They strolled leisurely across the grounds, towards the medical common room. Glancing around inside, Susato could not find any trace of her father. She frowned. Albert suggested some other places they could check, and led her through the rooms dedicated to medical studies. At last, they happened upon Yujin Mikotoba talking in the hallway with a white man who had a moustache. Susato hesitated.

"Doctor Wilson!" Albert called, interrupting their conversation.

The man offered a smile. Yujin's hard stare shifted to Susato. Strengthened into a glare.

"To what do we owe the pleasure?" Dr. Wilson said.

"Oh, oh, uh, I was actually just escorting Miss Mikotoba here," Albert said, rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly.

"Miss Miko—Miss Mikotoba!? Why, Yujin, you never mentioned that you have such a charming daughter!" Dr. Wilson said.

Yujin grunted.

Susato bowed. "Susato Mikotoba. I apologise greatly for interrupting you, but it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance."

"Very well-mannered, indeed. I am John Wilson," the man said and bowed in return.

"Dr. Wilson and I have important matters to discuss. We were just on our way out," Yujin said stiffly.

"Yes, I'm sorry to say my colleague is correct. We have a matter to attend to at the prison," Dr. Wilson said.

"Oh, there must be an execution today then, isn't there?" Albert said.

Susato looked at him with alarm.

"Quite so," Dr. Wilson said, putting away his pocket watch. "We must be off then. A true pleasure to meet you. Perhaps we can speak at length some other time."

"Yes, that would be wonderful," Susato said, returning his bow. "Oh! Father, I brought you a lunch. Perhaps you can take it with you?"

"Not possible," Yujin said and brushed past her.

Dr. Wilson gave her a pleasant smile before walking after Yujin. Susato sighed.