Our Final Resolve

Barok van Zieks appeared at Baker Street early one morning. He greeted Susato, his eyes bright.

               "You heard from my father?" Susato said.

               "I have."

               "What did he say?"

               "Susato Mikotoba," Barok said with the utmost severity. "It is my wish to spend the rest of my life with you. I do not want to endure another day without you by my side."

              Susato smiled. "That is what I want as well. And I want to start a family with you. Like we talked about, all those years ago."

               "Then..." Barok lowered himself to one knee and took gentle hold of Susato's hand. "Will you marry me?"

               "Yes!"

               Barok slid a ring onto her finger and kissed her hand. Susato could not contain herself. Smiling widely, she grabbed his face and kissed him.

               "Ah! I fear I have just chanced upon a most startling scene!" Sholmes said.

               Susato lurched away from the embrace immediately, clutching her hands together, her face bright red.

               Barok stood and crossed his arms, his face also dusted with blush.

               "Need me to call the Yard, dear fellow? It appears as though Susato was mauling you most viciously," Sholmes said, smirking.

               "Mr. Sholmes! We—We're getting married!" Susato said, whirling to face him.

               "You and I? At long last, Iris shall have a mother," Sholmes said.

               "You know very well what Susato meant!" Barok seethed.

               Sholmes burst out laughing.

               "Oh! I must tell Iris the news!" Susato said.

               "Before you hasten away, there is one other thing I should tell you. I received a second telegram. It seems a certain friend of ours will be arriving from Germany in a few days' time," Barok said.

               "Oh! That is lovely news!" Susato said. "Oh dear! Oh no, I just realised something..."

               "Is something wrong?" Barok said.

               "Marital regret already, Miss Susato? Or rather, premarital, I should say. I do believe your union is quite doomed," Sholmes said.

               Barok glared at him.

               "...I need to tell Kazuma-sama. I don't know how he will take the news," Susato said, touching her face warily. "But I will go today. And...I will face him alone!"

               And Susato did just that. After telling the very happy Iris the good news, Susato hurried away to find Kazuma. He and Gina were talking and laughing together while examining case notes in the Prosecutor's office.

               "'Ey Sooz!" Gina said brightly.

               "Oh, Gina! Um...it's nice to see you. I...I need to speak with Kazuma-sama," Susato said. "Although, I do want to tell you about this too."

               "Hello, Susato-chan. Why not tell both of us, then?" Kazuma said, smiling lightly.

               The two stood next to each other, both smiling. Gina looked better than she had ever since that fateful day. They both did. Susato just hoped she wouldn't ruin Kazuma's recovery with her news, and that they would continue to mend their bond, even in light of her choice of a husband.