In No Harsh Voice

Winter unthawed, releasing its biting grip on London. Susato spent many of her days either doting on Lady Baskerville or venturing to the university, visiting with Albert Harebrayne between his classes as he prepared to move to Germany, and helping Barok study in the library. A few times, she brushed past Yujin. He still refused to greet her, but sometimes he did return her bows.

Klint continued to act rather strangely, which the family attributed both to his role as lead investigator of Lord Stapleton's death and his concerns over Lady Baskerville's pregnancy. He was quieter than before and laughed far less. His smiles seemed forced, rarely meeting his eyes, and sometimes he darted a glance that looked anxious, peering towards the windows, staring fretfully into passing faces. A tremble was often in his hand when discussing weightier topics, and he tended to hunt more than usual, disappearing alone into the forest with just his rifle and Balmung for company. Sometimes Barok went with him, but it was rare, considering Barok's ardent focus on completing his studies.

And then March arrived, warm and green and fragrant, promising much joy. White roses gleamed brightly in the garden, and Klint seemed entirely himself, smiling with warmth and excitement as they set out to celebrate Barok's graduation.

"I cannot believe we are celebrating with fish and chips," Lady Baskerville said with a laugh.

"After a great deal of heartfelt pleading, I gave into Gregson's fervent request. On the condition that we have cake afterwards," Barok said.

"Naturally, we must pair the finest cake with the finest wine," Klint said.

"How 'bout some coffee?" Gregson said.

"No more suggestions from you, Inspector!" Lady Baskerville threatened, stabbing her finger towards him aggressively.

Gregson flinched and put his hands up in defense.

Susato laughed. She peered over at Genshin, who was smiling placidly and looked at great leisure. Susato was glad. He had seemed so tired recently.

"One last very British meal before I go to Germany. It had to be fish and chips!" Albert said brightly.

"See? Someone gets it," Gregson said.

"Alas, it is too late to change our course," Genshin pronounced gravely.

It was true. They were already seated at a table in the diner that Gregson most loved.

"Stop sayin' that like it's regrettable, you hear!" Gregson said. "These men here worked hard. And you know what that means? Well? What does a hard-working man need more than anything?"

"Heightened blood pressure from too much sodium!" Susato said, lifting a finger.

Barok chuckled.

"No! Fish n' chips!" Gregson shouted. "It's good for the soul and the body!"

Klint lifted his eyebrows. "Watch your zeal, Gregson. Someone may think you a cultist."

"Miss Susato! I am so very, very impressed!" Albert said. "You learned some scientific humour! You are truly, truly an excellent woman!"

"There is nothing humorous about heart failure, Mr. Harebrayne," Susato said with a sharp stare and great intensity.

Albert flinched in his chair. "N-No! No, of course not! You really would make a great lab assistant. Always knowing the right boundaries. And you're so sensible, too! Are you certain you don't want to come with me to Germany? Think of all the trouble I could avoid! Probably. Well...statistically...Hmmm. Maybe not..."