A Curtain of Scarlet

Pale white light filtered into the drawing room. It was only a few days after Christmas, the end of the year fast approaching, and it was a cold day, but cozy and bright despite the veil of clouds. And especially cozy for Susato, as Barok was seated at the harpsichord and she was beside him on the bench. He had offered to teach her some basics of playing while they waited for Klint to come home. Only then could they continue reading the novel they were all enjoying together.

Susato watched Barok's hands closely. They travelled gracefully across the keys, the movements light and well-practised.

"Try setting your fingers here. Keep your wrist relaxed. Good. Hold your fingers close to the keys and make small movements," Barok said.

Susato nodded, nervousness washing through her as she attempted to follow his instructions.

"Keep your elbow slightly below the level of the keyboard. And hold yourself with your knees slightly to the right. It is vital to look at ease while playing."

Susato shifted into the position he said, and found her knees were now pointing towards him. She tried to ignore that fact, and stumbled through the scale.

"You are pressing a measure too hard. Keep your finger motion slight, and your hands, fingers, and wrist all as level with one another as possible," Barok said, and his hand swept over the back of hers. He leaned in close towards her as he positioned her fingers, his touch light and gentle. Susato looked up, her breath dissolving in her throat. Barok was so close to her. So close that her elbow was nearly bumping into his torso.

His hand grew still, his fingers resting against hers, touching the keys just past her fingertips. She stared up into his face. He was looking down at her, head lowered, eyes deep and full of light. An intense warmth fluttered in her chest, clutched at her heart and breath. Faintly, gently, his fingertips brushed against the sides of hers, and then he was shifting his hand even closer. Their fingers began to interlace as her hand continued to rest upon the keys. Susato's heart leapt into her throat. Barok bent ever closer to her, their eyes still deeply fastened, breath short. Susato tilted her chin upwards without realising it, his warm gaze drawing near.

"There you are!"

Barok jerked to his feet, knocking Susato's hand off the harpsichord. He bowed as Lady Baskerville entered the room.

"Oh? Barok, why do you look so ridiculously red?" she said, laughing.

He cleared his throat and crossed his arms. "You were looking for us, Lady Baskerville?"

"See how coldly he speaks to me out of his embarrassment? It almost feels as though I am interrupting more than just a lesson," Lady Baskerville said and lifted her brows at Susato.

Susato stood, clasping her hands together shakily. "What have you there, Lady Baskerville?" she said.

"A field camera! I need to practise for taking darling Barok's graduation picture this March. Now sit back down, you two! I need a picture of your adorable smiles," Lady Baskerville said.

Barok and Susato glanced at each other quickly, both a bit pink-cheeked. They sat down on the bench at the same time, bumping into each other before shifting as far from one other as they could with the limited space. Lady Baskerville grinned brilliantly.

"Now pose like you are still playing and give me your best smiles," Lady Baskerville commanded. The two complied. As soon as the image was captured onto the glass plate, Lady Baskerville did a little twirl. "I cannot wait to see how this looks!" she said and swept hastily out of the room.