A Change of Circumstance

Morning filled the van Zieks manor. Despite her swollen eyelids and a throbbing pain in her head, Susato woke feeling rested. She dressed and did her hair while listening to the sounds of birdsong outside her window. The hurt from last night was still nestled within, but she was eager to greet the lord and lady who had kindly accepted her into their home.

"Oh! You're awake already, Miss Susato!" Lady Baskerville said. She was seated with Klint in the dining room, drinking tea while the servants prepared breakfast.

"Did you sleep well, Miss Mikotoba?" Klint said.

Susato bowed to them both. "Yes. I did. Thank you so much for your hospitality."

"Please, sit! You simply must join us," Lady Baskerville said.

Susato took up a chair and offered a quiet word of thanks as a cup of tea was set in front of her. It smelled wonderfully fragrant and tasted delicious.

"Good morning." Barok said, entering the room. "Susato!? Miss Susato. Miss Mikotoba," he said quickly, clearly taken aback. "You are here early." He bowed to her hastily. Susato stood and returned the gesture.

"Miss Susato stayed here last night," Lady Baskerville said.

"What?" Barok said, looking to Klint as if for assistance.

"Yes. She arrived when you were already abed," Klint said.

"The poor dear was in a sorry state," Lady Baskerville said.

"Is this true? Are you alright, Miss Mikotoba? Do you require any aid?" Barok said, worry filling his voice.

Susato smiled and shook her head. "I am alright. Thank you, Lord van Zieks."

"Do sit down, dear! We can all have a lovely breakfast together. Don't you think Miss Susato an improvement to our morning?" Lady Baskerville said.

"Y-Yes, of course," Barok said, and sat down across from Susato.

Breakfast was served soon after, and was lovely indeed. Susato had never eaten so much in the morning. She felt full and warm, but the sadness lingered, scratching at her as she watched the family interact. Seeing Klint laugh, she started to think of home.

I wonder how Kazum-sama, Mrs. Asogi, and Obaachan are faring. Seeing the two brothers interact, Susato thought not for the first time that Kazuma would like them so much. She could almost imagine him at her side, laughing along with them in that deep heartfelt way of his, hands on his hips, like he was laughing with his entire body. And, of course, she knew her grandmother and Mrs. Asogi would love Lady Baskerville. Her grandmother could do Lady Baskerville's hair for her and they would drink tea and talk about all sorts of lovely things. Genshin would be there, too, of course. Calm and strong and laughing along with everyone, delighting in their camaraderie. And her father...he would be the only one absent.

"Miss Mikotoba?"

Barok's voice drew her out of her thoughts. Susato looked around the table. Everyone was staring at her with clear concern. A tear landed on her plate. She brushed quickly at her cheeks.

"Sorry. I'm...I'm terribly sorry," she said, voice tremulous.

"My Lord, Mr. Genshin Asogi has arrived," one of the maids announced, bowing beside Klint's chair.

"Ah...Ah, yes. Thank you. Please tell him to await us in the parlour," Klint said.

"May—May I go see him?" Susato said as shot up from her chair.