Spasm of Agony

Once again, Ryunosuke Naruhodo had uncovered the truth. It was an arduous trial, but at last, Albert Harebrayne's name was cleared and Enoch Drebber and the Scotland Yard coroner, Courtney Sithe, were both found guilty for the roles they had played in the entire affair—a scandal with ties to the Professor, and the murder of Odie Asman.

A jolt had gone through Susato at the sight of the coroner. She recognised her faintly from a day long ago. Susato had the distinct impression that she had seen the woman at Dr. Wilson's side. Perhaps Susato had seen her at the hospital? For some reason, she kept picturing a little girl as well. But that was not what had stunned Susato the most that day. Learning that Drebber had supposedly seen the Professor rise from his grave before being shot again sent a horrible chill creeping through Susato's entire being.

Her dismay and consternation increased when she learned the Professor had been executed in an iron mask, cutting off her only chance of ever discovering the truth of his identity. For that mask was on the waxwork as well—which had been recovered and even presented in court, as Drebber and Sithe had used it to help orchestrate Asman's murder.

Susato struggled to force the ordeal as far from her thoughts as she could. This was a moment of celebration, not a time to dwell on the tragedies of the past, no matter how fresh the wounds would always feel.

"What a splendid outcome, isn't it?" Ryunosuke said as they greeted Albert in the defendant's antechamber.

"Oh, it is, it is! Congratulations, Professor Harebrayne!" Susato said.

Albert bowed his head and shoulders. "Mr. Naruhodo...Miss Susato...I am truly...truly...beside myself with gratitude!" he shouted, his head shooting up, startling them both. "How can I ever thank you enough!?"

"I'm just glad it's all been cleared up. That you realise you were just caught up in a bad situation," Ryunosuke said, smiling.

"And I'm glad that a dear old friend has been exonerated!" Susato said.

"Aaaah! Right now, you know...if I had that research grant money...Aaah! I'd give the whole lot to you! Every penny!" Albert said.

Susato laughed softly.

"Well...that's very kind, but...I'm just a student, so..." Ryunosuke demurred.

"We don't need any financial reward. Your acquittal is more than enough!" Susato said.

"Oh dear...Oh, what can I do...?" Albert fretted. "Aha! How about this? As a memento? The paper about my hypothesis is inside!" He held up a remarkably tiny science publication.

"...Well, just as a memento then. Thank you," Ryunosuke said.

"I've been wondering, Professor Harebrayne...what are you going to do now?" Susato said. "Will you visit for a while?"

"Oh, oh my...yes...What am I going to do? My hypothesis and my great machine lie in ruins..." Albert said.

Susato frowned. "Oh, Professor Harebrayne..."

"But still, it's been too long since I was last in London, so perhaps I'll enjoy some sightseeing. I must explore the Great Exhibition whilst I'm here, too, and see if new inspiration hits me," Albert continued.

"Oh yes, that's a wonderful idea! Perhaps we can spend some time catching up as well? I'm sure you have much to tell me about Germany!" Susato said.

"Yes! Oh, I'm so glad to hear you say that, Miss Susato! I still remember that lunch you made before," Albert said.

Susato laughed. "I could make us all a nice lunch! And then perhaps we can all explore together?"