Inexpressible Sorrow

The portrait of Klint van Zieks was still on the wall. Susato found herself standing below his stately visage, staring up at him, a tremor in her chest.

Klint, haunted, face severely shadowed. Klint smiling and laughing, showering his wife with affections. Klint snatching up his hunting rifle and immediately striding outside, rage in every feature. Klint laughing and shoving Barok playfully as they wandered out from the tree line. Klint staring down at her, speaking to her cruelly as the darkness lingered in the hallway around them, Balmung panting behind him. Klint playing a game of chess with her, asking her if she would stay for the rest of the century.

It was hard to understand how one person could be both of these things at the same time. It hurt in a way that was beyond expression.

"I apologise...if my presence at the dock proved offensive to you," Barok said. "It must have been unpleasant to see me during such an intimate moment."

They had travelled from the harbour to London together and, even though the hour was late, Susato had asked if she could speak with Barok before returning to Baker Street. So they had gone to his office, since he claimed he had something he needed to retrieve.

"Why would you think that?" Susato said, turning to face him.

"My brother was the source of most of the immense pains that have plagued your life. But...more than that...I am the reason Genshin perished," Barok said.

"You were trying to get justice for your brother. You weren't the one who built the case against him or used false evidence. That was Stronghart," Susato said.

"But I begged to be given the chance to prosecute him personally. I presented the falsified evidence. And I have cursed and slandered his name wrongly for these ten years. I have...cursed yours as well."

"Yes...I know. But...I understand why."

"You cannot forgive me for this. It is not something that can be forgiven."

Susato fixed Barok with a sharp, pointed stare. "Klint asked for your forgiveness. Will you not ever forgive him?"

Barok said nothing. He just crossed his arms and shut his eyes.

"Besides...you were right about me. I did betray you. I kept the truth about Iris from you. I...I let you believe she had not survived. You were so alone, all because of me," Susato said. "So...if anyone cannot be forgiven...it's me."

"Because you hid the truth at your father's insistence? You were protecting a child. Even if you did not understand why," Barok said, hand hovering over his scar.

"But...if you had only known...it could have saved you so much pain. You could have been together," she said.

"...Iris is happy, is she not?"

"Yes...Yes, very much so. She's finally started calling Mr. Sholmes her father, after all this time."

"Then what is there to forgive."

"Lord van Zieks..."

"Mrs. Asogi died of a broken heart. And both you and Kazuma have suffered endless sorrow because of my actions. Because I was so blinded by grief," Barok said.

"Had I been there—"

"Stronghart still would have framed Genshin for the killings."

"But...maybe we could have found the truth together," Susato said.

"Your presence would have changed nothing," Barok stated with finality.

Susato swallowed thickly. "...Back in court, you said Genshin-sama was entirely silent during the trial. You were hoping to hear the truth from him, weren't you?"

"...I could not understand why he had killed Klint."

"He really was the one who took his life though, in the end."

"In an honourable duel. That does not warrant such betrayal and hatred. I can never apologise to Genshin, and I cannot change what I have done. And...I do not know if I can forgive Klint," Barok said.

"But...you're still wearing his badge..."

Barok was silent for a long moment. "...Klint was right about something he said in his letter. I cannot understand this. I know how he was tormented, but I cannot understand how his fear over our discovery of the truth could persuade him to kill his own mentor, his friend!"

"...I can't either," Susato said.

"My brother was strong and noble. How could he have fallen so far? Why did he let the darkness pull him down like this!?"

"...I don't know. I can't understand why someone as wonderful as Klint could have done something so hideous. But there is one thing I do know. You...will never fall to the darkness like that! You have suffered and endured so much. All this pain and betrayal, again and again. You have seen justice destroyed, evidence tampered with, criminals wrongly acquitted. But despite it all...you have never turned your back on what you believe in!" Susato said with the utmost conviction. "I still remember what you said to me that day at the university. You have lived up to your words. And I know you always will!"

Barok stared into Susato's eyes searchingly, and she could see his anguish rising ever closer to the surface. "...My brother was a far better and braver man than myself. I always thought we both shared these principles, that we would live and die by them...How could he have become a monster!? So lost...that there was no way back to the light..."

"...I think Klint felt a great deal of guilt and regret over what he did. Not just because of what he said in his letter," Susato said. And memory burbled up into her thoughts. Klint, rubbing his forehead while crying, his tears splashing against the chest board as he wept and begged for forgiveness. "...He acted so strangely during all those months. I don't think it was just fear he would be found out. I think...he truly regretted what he was doing. Because of how much he had bloodied his hands, he was convinced he was beyond redemption. But...if he truly felt repentant for what he did...there's hope in that, isn't there?"

Barok moved towards her as she spoke, the distance thinning between them.

"I...I pray you are right," he said.

"Then...one day, I know you will be able to forgive him. And I will forgive him too."

And then, with her final words, the pain broke in his eyes. Barok put his arms around her. Then sank to his knees. He leaned his head against her stomach. And he sobbed. Deep, gut-wrenching sobs.

Susato's heart broke. She gently stroked her fingers through his hair, her own tears falling silently.

Klint's visage hovered above them, his stately stare directed downwards, fixed upon their broken edges.