Bleak Shores

Iris. That was what Yujin had named the baby girl. Iris. The English version of Ayame. Susato pondered this as she held Iris in her arms. Her round face was so pure, so sweet. Big blue eyes, tiny eyelashes, a small tuft of pink hair. This little child was the only thing left of both Klint van Zieks and Lady Baskerville. Tiny and new and unburdened.

Susato's heart trembled. She held Iris close, then pressed a small kiss to her forehead. Iris was peacefully asleep. The sound and feeling of her breath was so soothing.

"Barok will be so glad to meet you, Iris," Susato murmured.

Yujin stopped at the edge of the couch then sat down with a sigh. "Susato. You cannot tell Lord van Zieks about the baby."

"What!? What are you talking about, Father? She's his niece!"

"We're going home soon. And Sholmes will take care of the baby."

"What are you saying!?" Susato shot to her feet, clutching Iris close. "She needs to be with Barok! He's lost everyone. You can't steal Iris away from him, too."

"I don't have a choice. She can't be with him. He can't even know she exists."

"So, he's just supposed to think she's dead!?"

Iris woke. Her breath hitched and then she broke into a long, keening wail. Yujin reached for her, but Susato twisted away from him. She gently bounced Iris in her arms, fixing her father with a furious glare.

"Do you think him incapable of raising a child? Is that it?"

"No. This has nothing to do with what he is or isn't capable of doing," Yujin said.

"If you're so concerned, I will stay here in Britain with him. We can raise Iris together, like she's our own," Susato said.

"I can't allow that! You must not tell him about Iris!"

Much to Susato's annoyance, tears were beginning to seep from her eyes. She was so tired of crying, and she certainly didn't want to cry now, when she was trying to stand firm. "I will take her to him right now!"

"Susato! Listen to me!" Yujin shouted.

Iris began to wail again. Louder this time.

"What reason could you possibly have for this? Why do you hate Lord van Zieks!?"

"I don't! Susato, listen to me! I know you have no reason to trust me, but I am begging you to listen! For Iris's sake!" Yujin pleaded, taking hold of her shoulders.

Susato looked at his face, at his desperate expression. Then looked down at Iris. Susato pivoted away from Yujin, shushing Iris in a soft voice, rocking and bouncing her gently until her wailing subsided. Susato turned her head away, just as a tear dripped from her chin. Wiped quickly at her face. Then sat down, staring at Iris.

"Why?"

Yujin sighed and sank down beside Susato. "No one can know that Klint van Zieks had a child."

"But...But why?"

"Her life would be in danger. Trust me on this, Susato. You have to. I won't let anything happen to her. Just as...Just as I should have made sure no harm ever befell you. Instead of abandoning you. Maybe, if I had been a real father..." his voice gave out.