A Curtain of Sorrow

One thing Susato had learned over the years was that tragedy never gave you a warning. There was no feeling in your body or mind or heart. No sense of wrongness. No sudden waking in the night, breathless, heart clenching, wave crushing you. Nothing felt different, nothing felt wrong.

That morning, Susato woke feeling the same way she had every morning since they had begun their journey. Two weeks had passed, and her thoughts had been frantic and turbulent, alternating between joy and fretful imaginings. Her room was loud and she struggled to read, to keep herself occupied. All she could do was think about their arrival.

That morning, like every morning, Susato was looking forward to knocking on Kazuma's door and being greeted by his smile. They would spend the morning walking about the ship and exercising. She was looking forward to it even more than usual that morning. Her head was pounding and she hoped the movement and fresh air would ease the throbbing pain.

And she had knocked on his door. Expected him to call out. To open it. To smile at her as he always did. Good morning, Judicial Assistant Mikotoba! Let's go!

She had to admit, it was strange hearing him speak to her in a formal way, but it made her smile when he called her that. Made her feel capable and professional, like she was truly important to his life and his planned path. She eagerly waited for the door to open, for him to call her that.

That morning, there was no response.

No voice. No movement. No door opening. No Kazuma.

Susato knew something was wrong. Not because she had sensed anything, but because she had stumbled into wrongness too many times. Because she knew Kazuma too well. Because everything was always so routine. Because he would never fail to respond unless something was wrong.

Susato reached for the door. It would not open. No matter how she pulled at the handle or how loudly she called for Kazuma. It would not open.

Frantic, Susato rushed away, shouting for the crew and for the Inspector Hosonaga, who had disguised himself as one of their number in order to watch over Kazuma. Soon, Susato had gathered up some of the burly Russian crewmen, and stood back as they beat down the door.

"Quite curious, this racket."

Susato tensed. She knew that voice. She turned, body slow and hollow with consternation. "Mr. Sholmes?"

There he was, standing behind her, a smile on his lips like usual. But her surprise was short lived, the recognition barely having a chance to settle into her bones. For the next thing she knew, the door was bashed open. Susato swivelled towards the threshold and took a step inside.

Ice clenched her body. Paralysed her very breath.

Kazuma. He was prone on the ground, unmoving, unbreathing.

And grief swallowed her.

***

Why was Ryunosuke Naruhodo here? Why was he in the wardrobe? Why had Kazuma kept the fact he had smuggled him on board secret from her? Why had Ryunosuke killed Kazuma? The list of Susato's pains seemed to grow longer as the minutes passed. She stared at the makeshift outline where Kazuma's body had been, and her heart curled in a sharp, squeezing beat.

It was too much. It was all too much.

Genshin-sama. Mrs. Asogi. Now Kazuma. The whole family was gone.

Fury and sorrow ached inside her. She stared at Ryunosuke's face, her rage mounting. But his confusion, his shock, his grieved stare, his desperate pleas wore away at her, sent her emotions spiraling. What do I believe? What is the truth?