Separate Paths

Through the door, she heard the voice of her father. It surfaced Susato from her mourning. She rose from her bed, stepped close to the door, and strained to listen.

"So that's settled then," Yujin said.

"...Yes. I believe it is. That is my resolve," Ryunosuke said.

"Then we will depart together."

"Um...Mr. Mikotoba?"

"Yes?"

"Oh, uh, erm, it's not really my place to ask..."

"You're wondering about Susato, aren't you?...I haven't spoken to her about it. But I think it's time I finally let her choose her own path," Yujin said.

"Even if that means she stays in London, whilst we go home to Japan?"

Susato opened the door. She could see them from where she was, standing in the middle of the office. Her father's back was turned towards her, but Ryunosuke's face was plainly visible over his shoulder. Alarm flashed across his features as he spotted her.

"Ah! M-Miss Susato!" Ryunosuke cried out.

Yujin pivoted to look at her.

"...You're going back to Japan?" she said as she tentatively stepped towards them, a deep ache settling in her chest.

Ryunosuke hesitated then nodded firmly. "I've been thinking about it ever since the conclusion of the trial. And...that's where I feel I'm meant to go. Back to Japan, to take this resolve and everything I've learned to help our fledgling judicial system."

Susato laced her fingers together. "...I see. That's wonderful, Mr. Naruhodo."

"Naturally, I'll be returning home as well. I have a lot of work to do still at the University," Yujin said. "And...I think I've spent enough time in London over the years."

"...Kazuma-sama will remain in London. At least for some time," Susato said.

"Yes. Of course," Yujin said.

"He said he had a lot he wanted to learn, didn't he? Do you think...he's going to keep working at the Prosecutions Office?" Ryunosuke said.

"If he's apprenticed to Lord van Zieks...I don't suppose he will need a judicial assistant...will he?" Susato said glumly.

"Oh! Oh, no! I'm sure that's...that's not entirely true? I mean...they could both use your help, maybe?" Ryunosuke said, rubbing the back of his neck. "Um...unless..."

Susato met Ryunosuke's eyes. He blanched, sweat beading his brow.

"Well...I could always use your help Miss Susato. You've been such a huge part of my success. I...I couldn't have done any of this without you! You're...invaluable to me. And I would like for you to stay at my side. But...I know you waited so long to return to Britain, and you have people here you really want to stand beside. So, well...I just wanted you to know how I feel. Even though it has no impact on your plans, surely," Ryunosuke said, his earnest words and sincere gaze tugging at her heart.

"...Ten years ago, I had wished with all my heart that I could stay in England. But...I was forced by circumstances beyond my control to leave," Susato said.

Yujin bowed his head.

"I understand now why I had to go back. We solved a great mystery, a mystery that had been a heavy burden on my thoughts and soul for an entire decade," Susato said. She smiled weakly at Ryunosuke. "Now..."