Chapter 37 : No Hours To Go (Part Three)

The Nerd Owes Me Cupcakes - Chapter Thirty Seven -No Hours To Go

Today made me realize several things.

Most elderly people weren't as nice as I thought they were.

When it rains my mother gives me mobile devices

And most importantly makeup and Cerise Brookes were not a perfect combination.

The girl staring back at me in the mirror looked like something that would scare the jellybeans out of a professional wrestler. I had different products on the parts of my face where I'm pretty sure they were not suppose to be.

The lipstick on my lips had actually dragged off in a cricket line reaching my cheeks, the consequence of jumping when I had thought I heard something tapping on Kelly's window and found out that it was just a branch.

Half of my hair was filled with huge pink curlers and the other half was pointing up in the air like I had gotten electrocuted.

"Okay, Cerise. Guess whose back with the - oh my gosh."

I smiled innocently at my best friend who just so happened to appear in the doorway. The van keys in her hand dropped to the ground just as her jaw did.

Was it that bad?

"Is it that bad?" I asked aloud

She shook her head. "Uh, of course not. Actually it's not as worse as I expected. I thought you would have burned the house down with the curling iron to be honest."

I rolled my eyes. You can just feel the faith she has in me lingering in the air.

"Maybe I shouldn't go to the party." I sighed, dropping myself onto the edge of the bed." It's just a party after all. They'll be more."

"No, that's quitter talk." Kelly said, picking up the fallen keys. "We're going to do some party crashing tonight and do you really want this beautiful piece of clothing just hanging in your closet?"

"It'll just be staring back at you whispering 'You should have worn me, Cerise. You should have worn me." She mimicked a creepy squeaky voice for the dress.

The dress seemed to twinkle in my eye. It was beautiful and I wondered if such a person like me was even fit to wearing it.

Gathering the curlers out of my hair I let out another sigh "But think about it. If we don't go then you wouldn't have to make your decision between Vince and Aven."

She bit her bottom lip and began to ponder over my words.

"That'll still come someday, Cerise. I can't have the both of them and you know that." She sat on the bed beside me, " I know that."

Kelly was right. She was always right. Why'd she always have to be right?

I turned to face her and nodded my head. "Okay, Kels. Work your magic."

A sparkling grin found its way to her face and her index finger shot up in the air.

"We need one more person for the job."

*

"Hello?"

A tiresome and groggy voice came from the other line. Kelly motioned me to answer back. I held the phone closer to my ear and parted my lips to make words.

"Hey."

"Cerise?" Her old lazy voice perked up a bit. "I've been dying to hear from you girls. I'm sorry I haven't been around lately. With dress shopping, catering, choosing churches and -"